The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

[WTN] Domaine Durand 2002 Cornas

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MattThr

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:25 am

UK

[WTN] Domaine Durand 2002 Cornas

by MattThr » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:58 pm

I know all the warnings about 2002 Rhone wines, but so, it seems does everyone else and my local wine shop had this on offer at a fat 50% discount for their January sale. At that price I figured it was worth a gamble.

=====

Wine is a strangely murky purple colour and smells of plum, black pepper and damp undergrowth.

There is some good compleixity of flavour on the palate but it takes some coaxing out of a disappointingly thin and watery background. Classic Rhone smoke and black pepper ride alongside fruity plum and redcurrant and little hints of tobacco and leather put in an appearance to give the wine some structure and backbone. The whole is supported by a bright acidity that tips over into unwelcome levels for some mouthfuls.

=====

A reasonable wine for the price I paid - but would have been disappointing at the full whack.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: [WTN] Domaine Durand 2002 Cornas

by Bill Hooper » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:22 pm

Matt, Durand is doing some amazing things up there in Cornas. I got a chance to meet the Man last summer. I loved the wines (2005's). Thanks for the notes. BTW, what are they going for in GB?
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

MattThr

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:25 am

UK

Re: [WTN] Domaine Durand 2002 Cornas

by MattThr » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:49 am

Bill Hooper wrote:Matt, Durand is doing some amazing things up there in Cornas. I got a chance to meet the Man last summer. I loved the wines (2005's). Thanks for the notes. BTW, what are they going for in GB?

Yes, I'm sure the 2002 isn't a typical example - I might well be tempted to a later vintage once they hit the shelves. Full price on this is £20 a bottle.