The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Spain isn't dead to me after all...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Spain isn't dead to me after all...

by Saina » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:52 pm

Bodegas El Coto Rioja Coto de Imaz Gran Reserva 1996

The back label says this sees a long time in new American oak. But compared to my last taste a little over a year ago, the oak finally seems to be going to the background and the bright, red toned and citrussy aromas that I so love in traditional Rioja are coming to the fore. Refreshingly high acidity, bright, but the palate's oak isn't integrating quite yet. An attractive enough drink, but I would wait still a couple years if that would still lessen the oak.

It says much about the Finnish selection, but at 21€, this is practically a bargain here.

Bodegas Veracruz Verdejo "Ermita" 2005 Rueda

Smells grassy/clover-like and somewhat mineral; no oak, but not as refreshing as some previous vintages. Fat fruit, perhaps a bit alcoholic and not as refreshing as some years, but still a nice wine. Nicely mineral aftertaste. It is a like a Sauvignon Blanc except that it is interesting aromatically (dons tin helmet).

Adegas Valmiñor Davila 2006 Rías Baixas

A blend of Albariño, Loureiro and Treixadura, this is almost every year one of the few wines that I buy multiple bottles of. Smells of peaches and sea-breeze. Tastes ripe but mineral and vibrantly acidic. Lovely.

Williams & Humbert Rare Old Dry Amontillado Solera Especial Jalifa Aged 30 Years NV

Yummy. Dry and rancioed. Supremely intense. I loved it. Everyone else said it is painfully intense.

-O
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Spain isn't dead to me after all...

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:43 pm

Otto, good to see you taking such an interest in Espana!!
The Rias sounds like my cup of tea!! The Rueda might have some sauv blanc blended in? Time to do some research!!
I seem to remember that a verdejo I posted on was questioned at the time?

Victor wrote last year...Verdejo doesn't resemble SB, but too many Rueda producers are blending some SB into their verdejo (and not mentioning it on the label) in order to accentuate the aromatics. I wouldn't be sirprised if Prado Rey did it too. I don't like this practice at all myself.