The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN" 1996 Talbot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN" 1996 Talbot

by Dale Williams » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:24 pm

Betsy made ribeyes with a black olive sauce, broccoli with parmesan and lemon, and a sweet potato for our Valentines dinner. When she said ribeye I had envisioned a fairly serious Bordeaux, but when I saw the olive vinaigrette and the lemon on the broccoli, I decided to scale back what I was opening. A more modest wine, a half of the 1996 Ch. Talbot (St Julien), did well. Rich cassis fruit, some cigarbox and leather, a little smoke. Ripe, decent acidity, with some lingering tannins. Not a great Bordeaux, but a great value (I paid bought a case of 375s at $290 a couple years ago, this is a nice $12 half bottle!). B+
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

Re: WTN" 1996 Talbot

by Covert » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:50 am

Dale Williams wrote:Not a great Bordeaux, but a great value (I paid bought a case of 375s at $290 a couple years ago, this is a nice $12 half bottle!). B+

Dale, Thanks for your post. I love 1996 Talbot, and ’96 Gloria, and Branaire, too. You know somehow I have completely broken away from comparing one Bordeaux to another in terms of it being better or worse, though. If I compared my wife to Diane Lane, for an analogy, it would not benefit me. I wouldn’t trade, even though most if not all people who are not friends of my wife would think Diane should be rated higher. It’s nice when drinking a 1996 Talbot, which I like about as much as anything when I am drinking one, that I don’t have to reflect on it not reaching A-. I can’t say for sure, but I think my recent change of view is similar to what William James taught. A practical ethic. I’m not a multimillionaire.

I can compare a Bordeaux to the mood, though, or the venue, or the food – whether the wine is perfect for the moment or not, which casts no aspersion, since it could be perfect for another occasion if not for the one I am in. But often I can let the wine change the moment to accommodate it so that the wine can be perfect, no matter what.

Such with another “second place” wine, 2001 Bahans Haut Brion, a bottle of which Lynn and I drank last night to commemorate St. Valentine's sacrifice. It surprised us! We both liked it as much as we ever liked any wine when we drank it; even though idealistically objective people would not call it great. I’ll bet you would get at least a B+ out of it. And it is true to its last. Wonderful tobacco with sweet cassis and minerals, and with that gravel texture; I can never decide whether it comes from perception of the appellation or the actual glass of wine.

Best,

Covert
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:12 am

I can't say that I ever remember thinking "this isn't an A wine, " I tend to try to enjoy whatever I have and then decide on my (non-objective inconsistent ) grade later.
I generally like Bahans Haut Brion a lot. Probably my favorite second (that I can afford).
If you truly can appreciate and enjoy each Bordeaux as much without ever making mental comparisons, you might as well stick to only under $15 bottles, why waste money? :D
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:26 am

Dale Williams wrote:I can't say that I ever remember thinking "this isn't an A wine, " I tend to try to enjoy whatever I have and then decide on my (non-objective inconsistent ) grade later.
I generally like Bahans Haut Brion a lot. Probably my favorite second (that I can afford).
If you truly can appreciate and enjoy each Bordeaux as much without ever making mental comparisons, you might as well stick to only under $15 bottles, why waste money? :D

You are right. Nobody can do anything without making mental comparisons. Idealistically I just try to. Also, most things I say are designed to impart an impression, not really relate fact. Everything I say is as much BS as not. But I reserve my right to say it. :)