The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Interesting day

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Interesting day

by Florida Jim » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:45 am

Diane and I celebrated our 23rd anniversary (February 14) as we often do, at the beach for sunset. This time we went back to the very spot we met some 25 years ago.
Sometimes we’ll take pizza with us and picnic but, this time, it was chilly so we got some on the way back home. We had to open three bottles to get one we liked but our mood was such, it really didn’t matter.
Happy Valentine’s you all.

2001 Palazzola, Rubino:
I had tried a bottle of this a week or so a go and it was decent so I tried again - entirely different experience; smells like a freshly sawn dill pickle barrel; tastes similar with a thinness to the fruit and a short finish. I have no idea why the wide variation but I’ll not try this again – this is much more the Cotarella type wine I remember. 13.5% alcohol, imported by Locascio and about $17; DNPIM.

2004 Terres Dorées, Côte de Brouilly:
Always a stemmy wine, this now smells of dill and stewed jalapeño (not in a good way) and tastes so bad I spit it out. I did not notice any bacterial type smells or flavors but I suppose it’s possible it’s a bad bottle. 12% alcohol, imported by Louis/Dressner and about $20; DNPIM.

2000 Château Cantelys, Pessac-Léognan:
Opens gradually to poop, blackberry, cassis, stone and smoke – complex and inviting nose; rich and full bodied in the mouth with flavors that echo the nose (sans poop), grip, concentration and length. Could use some time in the cellar as it’s just a touch rustic but what a nice wine. 13% alcohol, imported by Prestige Château and about $23; I bought all they had.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Interesting day

by Dale Williams » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:08 am

Happy Anniversary!

Florida Jim wrote:2004 Terres Dorées, Côte de Brouilly:
Always a stemmy wine, this now smells of dill and stewed jalapeño (not in a good way) and tastes so bad I spit it out.

Is there a good way for a wine to smell of dill and stewed jalapeno? :)
I certainly liked this wine on release, doesn't sound like what I remember. Too bad.