The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Colour of Pinot Gris / Pinot Grigio Grapes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Colour of Pinot Gris / Pinot Grigio Grapes

by Peter May » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:01 am

There’s been some discussion in the past about the colour of Pinot Gris/Grigio grapes, which, since one usually sees only white wines from this variety, is understandably considered a white grape, but in fact the colour of these grapes vary considerably from pale grey, through pink to black.

As I was in a row of Pinot Gris/Grigio vines this week I thought I’d take this picture. The bunches looked like black grapes, but the skins of the grapes are thin and would yield little colour.
The second photo shows the viticulturist holding up just the skin to the light, plus for comparison, the skin of a Mourvedre. He’s crushed the grapes between finger and thumb and rubbed the flesh away from the skins which he now holds up. Unfortunately the photo is not quite in focus, but it is clear how translucent the Pinot Gris skin on the left is, as opposed to the Mourvedre on the right of the picture.

Thanks to Johan Malan, viticulturist and co-owner of Simonsig winery in Stellenbosch, South Africa.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

Re: Colour of Pinot Gris / Pinot Grigio Grapes

by Bruce Hayes » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:21 am

Thanks Peter, this is quite interesting. I have recently had a run of good luck with very good and well priced Pinot Grigio from all over the world. I am quite surprised to see how dark the grapes are on the vine.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: Colour of Pinot Gris / Pinot Grigio Grapes

by Bill Hooper » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:20 pm

Sometimes Pinot Gris is mistaken for Pinot Noir in vineyards (the Clos des Mouches domes to mind) and thrown into the tank or vat along with the Noir (by accident or otherwise.) I guess many Pinot Noir clones are so unstable, that Pinot Gris mutations aren't that uncommon.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com