The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bordeaux Ringers

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Bordeaux Ringers

by Bill Spohn » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:21 pm

Bordeaux Ringers

What makes claret so immediately identifiable when you taste it blind, as we often do? Let me qualify that. I am talking about traditional Bordeaux, before the influence of what some call ‘Parkerisation’ that began in the 1980s. This was not through any fault of Parker the reviewer, who I am sure had no designs to remake the wines of Bordeaux (or anywhere else, presumably) to his ideal, he just reported on wines as he tasted them and more importantly, gave them numerical ratings that became the singe most effective marketing tool for wine merchants the world over. More points = more sales, = more requests to the producers to make wines that garnered more points…..and around it went.

What we were aiming at was to put forward our best shot at a wine that wasn’t Bordeaux, in the more classic sense, but that might be mistaken for such when tasted blind, and the event turned up some interesting conclusions. First, it is bloody hard to fool dedicated Bordeaux fans with anything else. Second, the ones that came closest to fooling you were perhaps the ones you’d have least thought of as doing so before they were tasted.

The dinner was arranged with everyone at a table bringing their ringer, and there was a lot of after dinner cross-table exchange of tastes so I was able to taste quite a few wines that evening. I found that it was a constructive experience that focussed my mind on exactly what specific qualities made a claret what it was for me, and introspection is always good for the soul. Here are the notes, but first a précis of the menu.

Albacore tuna with fennel salad, citrus vinaigrette

Quail stuffed with wild rice and chorizo, Madeira sauce

Braised short rib Cannelloni with Bordelaise sauce

Elk tenderloin, elk jerky, morel sauce

Some dessert or other.

The canapés were served with Roederer Estate NV, a pleasant bubbly with very good mousse, clean yeast and fruit nose, and high terminal acidity, overall a bit simple.

The fish course was accompanied by a white Bordeaux ringer, the 2005 De Lille Chaleur Blanc - a vanilla oak and tuna fish ( I swear!) nose, nice, crisp and juicy.

1997 Le Macchiole Paleo Rosso – a blend of 85% CS, 5% CF, 10% Sangiovese (I’d suggested that I bring a 1990 Lungarotti San Giorgio, which has similar make up, but that was rejected. I still think it would have been interesting….) The Paleo was dark, had a ripe sweet nose, was tannic and tight. It needs more time and was much more likely to be mistaken for an American cab than Bordeaux.

2000 Montes ‘M’ - this is the upwardly mobile Chilean Cab (at much too high a price I feel I can add, as I brought this one). 80% CS, 5% M, 10% CF, and 5% Petit Verdot. It showed a black olive nose medium body, good colour and was still young and tannic. A good cab blend, definitely. A claret - no.

1994 Stellenzicht Estate Wine – an entry from the Cape. Hard to find. Elegant and a nice stone and cocoa nose, smooth on palate, with a slightly high terminal acidity that was the only clue as to origin. Getting closer.

1994 Dunn Napa Cab – thank goodness it wasn’t the Howell! I have this, so was interested to taste it. a Rhone nose, a bit funky, from a wine still very dark with sweet rich fruit and enough rough tannins to make your tongue feel like it had been sandblasted. Another 10 years needed and it still won’t show even vaguely like claret!

1985 Mas Daumas Gassac – a very interesting choice and the closest shot yet. Sweet nose with a pine element, lots of acid and some tannin left. The I tasted another bottle of the same wine – resolved mature wine, medium colour, spicy nose, very faint astringency at the end, could possibly pas as a mature Bordeaux. This Languedoc-Roussillon wine, quite elemental and rustic in youth, had mellowed very nicely with age.

1985 Sassicaia – this one made me glad to be sitting at this table. One of my very favourite wines. Dark, ripe minty nose (the mint disappeared after a few minutes), mellow with great length and huge concentration combined with a complexity that saw a changing panoply of flavours that went on and on as long as I had it in my glass. Not going to fool you into thinking it was a claret, but nonetheless my wine of the night.

1990 Torres Mas La Plana – a good try – not much nose and what there was came fom the oak, even at this age. Soft middle, still slight tannins at the end, and low on fruit, it struck me as closer to an older 80s American wine than a caret.

2001 Errazuriz Chadwick – people will likely be familiar with the Don Maximiano cab (an inexpensive bargain), but may not have heard of this one. The Chadwick is a premium cab made with small French barriques from 100% cabernet. You get a broad sweet nose of blackberries and a similarly sweet entry, after which the wine swiftly closes down with tannin. This one should give the guys in Napa some worries, but a claret it is not.

1994 Dominus – a good call by whoever brought this as I have always found Dominus to be about the closest American wine to the French style. Big sweet deep intense nose you could luxuriate in for minutes, forgetting to taste the wine. When you did, you found a well balanced beautifully melded wine getting into prime time. I suppose this could fool you, especially if you put it next to something like the 1990 Montrose….

1985 Stag Leap Wine Cellars Cask 23 - slight mustiness, smooth and ready to drink with excellent length, a lovely mature Cal-cab, but again, no ringer for a claret.

1974 Mondavi Reserve – I think this wine is getting past it, certainly judging by the last time I tasted it several years ago. Quintessential Cal-cab, not even close to claret. Fruit definitely fading. If you want to drink an 80s reserve, opt for the 87.

2000 Dom. de Castel – I purposely left this one for last, a 60% merlot, 40% cab blend made in Israel in Judea. Believe it or not, this well made wine was the one that had the lest clues about being from anywhere BUT Bordeaux. It had good fruit in the nose, elegant and still a bit tannic, we figured it would pass for a Lynch Bages any day of the week. Brilliant effort and one to watch out for.
no avatar
User

Nigel Groundwater

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:08 pm

London, UK

Re: WTN: Bordeaux Ringers

by Nigel Groundwater » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:18 pm

Very interesting and thank you for the notes.

I only know 3 of the wines [Sassicaia, Mas de Daumas Gassac and the Mas La Plana] and only the latter 2 really well and, for me, your notes ring bells.

BTW after quite a long time in the doldrums, Mas La Plana [I remember it when it was called Gran Coronas] has made a significant return to form beginning for me with the 98 [more fruit better oak treatment although there is still a lot of it] although as a 100% Cabernet Sauvignon it will never be like the original blended wine that was able to take on some of the top wines including Bordeaux in the 70s.

I have never had Dominus but when you are comparing it to the Montrose 90 are you also getting the brett that I have had with that wine on the few occasions I have drunk it. You didn’t mention it so I assume your bottles of Montrose have not had it and the Dominus didn’t either?

Finally what do you think caused the ‘tuna’ nose in the 2005 De Lille Chaleur Blanc? You said you weren’t kidding so it wasn’t a confusion of smells with the first course with which it was served.

I am interested because in another forum there is a thread about an odour of cod liver oil from a red wine [Malbec] but in that case it was described as undrinkable so quite unlike yours – which at least didn’t jar with the food. Was it purely in the nose or in the taste too?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:24 pm

No fish in the taste, just a whiff of tinned tuna fish in the nose - before the course appeared. Odd.

No bret inthe Dominus or Montrose, though I have detected some in the latter in the past.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:53 pm

What a great idea Bill. Great posting!
I too remember those early Torres wines back in the good `ole Liquor Board days.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:07 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:What a great idea Bill. Great posting!
I too remember those early Torres wines back in the good `ole Liquor Board days.

Yup, the 70 (at that point only 70% cab) was a great bottle of wine and 78 is also very good (I still have a couple of those stashed away).
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:41 am

Thanks for the notes! You must have had a "better" bottle of the Mas de Daumas, because the bottle I tasted from (which I utterly loved) had quite a hit of breet-or at least savory funkyness. I like that, so not a flaw to me, but you don't mention that here, so....:)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:20 pm

Bill,

Very unusual theme and fascinating post.
Thanks for sharing.

Alex
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:31 pm

Thanks for notes. The Castel sounds like one to look for.

Bill Spohn wrote:1974 Mondavi Reserve – I think this wine is getting past it, certainly judging by the last time I tasted it several years ago. Quintessential Cal-cab, not even close to claret. Fruit definitely fading. If you want to drink an 80s reserve, opt for the 87..

I had this about a year ago, mature but I didn't think fading.

Some wines I think make good ringers in a lineup of Bdx- Toren Fusion V, Montus, Parker Estate 1st growth.
Of course, if your Bordeaux are recent Pavie, La Gomerie, and Pape Clement, it's easier to insert ringers. :D
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:18 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:What a great idea Bill. Great posting!

Yup, the 70 (at that point only 70% cab) was a great bottle of wine and 78 is also very good (I still have a couple of those stashed away).

Ah, the '78. I had that at a dinner celebrating my birthday back in the late '80s at a truly bad "Italian" place in Bensonhurst that sold its wine at cost. That meal, which also included a bottle of the '85 Rene Dauvissat 'Les Preuses,' argubly set me down the path of winegeekery that you find me on today.

Mark Lipton