The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: An Albariño in its Portuguese Alvarinho guise.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: An Albariño in its Portuguese Alvarinho guise.

by Tim York » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:52 am

Alvarinho – Reguengo de Melgaço – 2006 – Vinho Verde DOC – Sub-região de Monção – Produced by Hotel do Reguengo de Melgaço – Alc. 12.5%. (Approx. € 10).

C: Quite pale with a suspicion of a bubble.
N: Freshly floral and aromatic with melon, pear, citrus and grape notes.
P: Good freshness and very aromatic with soft mouth-feel and good “gras” showing white fruit with grapey notes more marked than on the nose and attractively bitter hints towards the finish.

This is quite different from the Spanish Albariño from Castro Martin on which I wrote a note some months ago. That wine was bracing and zesty and a suitable substitute for Muscadet with oysters and shellfish, in a slightly more aromatic and complex vein. This one, whilst not short of freshness and acidity, is softer and more generous and much more aromatic. No longer ideal for shellfish, like its Spanish cousin, but probably good with crustaceans and excellent with sea fish, like the swordfish with which we consumed it; 15.5/20.

The producer is a hotel which looks very attractive in this link - http://www.hoteldoreguengo.pt/idefault.htm .
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: An Albariño in its Portuguese Alvarinho guise.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:50 am

Supplies of VV have dryed up for the time being but summer is around the corner (somewhere). Tim, either one of these will find a place here!!
The Esporao white as well, grin wink.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

Re: WTN: An Albariño in its Portuguese Alvarinho guise.

by JoePerry » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:25 pm

FWIW, much of the time I find Albarino over-worked (and sometimes oaked) while Alvarinho is fresh (must be less than a year old, check the back label) and honest - not to mention cheap.

If you see it, try "QM" Alvarinho. I served it at my wedding to the non-wine geeks. At $13 it's the La Tache of Vinho Verde.

Best,
Joe