The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Detroit Wine Store Report

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Louisville, KY

Detroit Wine Store Report

by Bob Hower » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:21 am

A hearty thank you to those who posted recommendations for a good wine store in Detroit. I got a good early start last Monday and had Detroit in sight by mid afternoon. Rather than stopping in Toledo at Andersons, I opted to detour on up to Ann Arbor and hit the 2 recommended shops there. When I stopped at the Michigan welcome Center to try to score a map of Ann Arbor, I saw that there was a small car museum and Hudson Dealership (the last in the world) in Ypsilanti. Since I actually own a Hudson, I realize this was a must see and detoured there for an entertaining hour or so, and then headed over to Morgan & York on Packard Street in Ann Arbor (http://www.morganandyork.com/). It turned out to be a wonderful store and I walked out an hour or so later with 16 bottles having spent about $300 with a nice 15% case quantity discount. I found the staff enertaining, patient, responsive, and helpful (the person who helped me was Dan.) Highly recommended if you are in the area. Of course the main draw for me had been the prospect of wines I couldn't find here at home and indeed much of what I found there I had never seen. They seem to be very heavy into French and European and carry a lot of Kermit Lynch imports. So here's what I bought: 2006 Voute des Cozes Cote Brouilly - $17.85; 2005 Amirault Bourgueil Coudraye - $18.7; 2004 Truchot Bourgogne Rouge - $19.55; 2005 Chateau Fontanes - $11; 2006 Lapierre Morgon - $21.25 (this was the prettiest of all the bottles I bought and the one I'm most excited about, being the Cru Beaujolais fan that I am. Assuming the wine is any good, this would be a wonderful gift bottle); 2006 Cypress Cuvee CDR (blended by Kermit Lynch) $15.3; 2004 Meyer-Fonne Riesling (a gift for my client who only drinks Riesling) $17; 2006 Meyer-Fonne Gentil d'Alsace (a blend of Muscat, Pinot Blanc, Riesling, and Gewurtz - for me to expand my palate) $14.45; 2005 Carpineto Dogajolo - $11.9; 2001 Clos Triguedina Cahors (French Malbec) - $21.25; 2005 Tour Vielle Collioure Oriol - $23.8; Bastide Vin du Pays Durand $7.65; 2005 Faury St Joseph Rouge VV (I bought this just because Dan said it was one of his favorite wines) $25.5; 2005 Chateau Aney $22.95 (this purchase in response to the interesting and lengthy Eric Asmiov inspired discussion of Bordeaux on this forum); 2005 Castellare di Tonda Chianti; 2004 Charbonniere Mourre de Perdix (Chateauneuf) $28.05. All in all a good mix of every day drinkers and more special bottles I thought. I'd love to hear your comments about my selctions, both in terms of quality and when to drink them. I'm thinking the Bordeaux, the CDP, the Burgundy, and the Collioure should all be cellared for a few years. When I left the store, I thanked Dan and he responded "thanks for your open mind." I had hoped to stop at a couple of more stores on this trip, but my time and budget were gone.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: Detroit Wine Store Report

by David Creighton » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:09 am

when you were at that museum, you were across the street from one of the best hamburgers in the world - IMO and also in the opinion of GQ. glad you like your visit. david
david creighton