The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: St. Supery Chardonnay (Unoaked)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

WTN: St. Supery Chardonnay (Unoaked)

by Sam Platt » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:30 am

2006 St. Supery Oak Free Chardonnay - Napa Valley

I was not a fan of St. Supery Chard in the past, but thought I would take a stab at their unoaked offering. Apparently they are doing all of their Chardonnay in unoaked fashion from here on.

Color: Light straw.

Nose: Pear, honey dew, a slight whiff of hospital antiseptic.

Taste: Tangy acidity. Apple cider and melon with lots of stone mixed in. Kind of a salty, sea water note on the finish. Quite dry. All and all a tasty Chardonnay. Much better than their previous oak bombs. Would definitely buy again.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: St. Supery Chardonnay (Unoaked)

by Redwinger » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:53 am

Sam,
It has been a while since I wandered down the domestic Chardonnay aisle. I'll watch for this one.
Danke.
Wm.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

William K

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:28 pm

New Orleans

Re: WTN: St. Supery Chardonnay (Unoaked)

by William K » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:23 pm

Thanks for the TN, I wouldn't have noticed this otherwise - I'm sure many in this group don't even look in the U.S. Chardonnay section anymore. But I'll make a point to hunt this one up.

This is a positive sign. St. Supery has always had pretty good grapes but IMO they went just haywire with the oak over the past few years and produced some really one-dimensional, out of balance wines. Here's hoping they'll similarly dial back the oak on their CabS from "kill" to "stun."