The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

A Bordeaux wine dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

A Bordeaux wine dinner

by AlexR » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:05 pm

The new US consul, his wife, and A. de Lur Saluces came over to dinner at my place last night.
The wines were not tasted blind.

We enjoyed :

Aperitif :

1996 Champagne Gosset-Brabant, Cuvée Gabriel, grand cru : this was proper, but unexciting. Not up to grande cuvée status.

With fish and seafood terrine :

2000 Pavillon Blanc de Château Margaux: This was bright and fruity, but overpowered by the oak. A pleasure to drink now, I am nevertheless left wondering what it will taste like when the oak tannins become resolved…

With paupiettes de veau (veal escalopes stuffed with pork and veal sausage meat) we had:

2000 "La Rasina" Brunello di Montalcino, 14.5% alc. Despite its strength, this wine was very pleasing with dry rather than dried-out tannin. Some leather and dried fruit flavors. This is the archetypical fine wine to have with strong food i.e. it can stand up to the food, but also has a great deal of intrinsic class. FWIW, the wine was more rounded and fruit-forward the next day with plummy and violet aromas. I’ve had few Brunellos in my life. This was a positive experience.In terms of aging, this particular wine still has a long way to go.

2000 Dominus, Napa Valley: Truly delicious. 14% alcohol may be normal for California, but it is very high for Bordeaux. However, the balance was good. There was a biscuity/graham cracker bouquet, but much more fruit (raspberry) on the palate and a good long aftertaste. Does California wine come much better than this, especially in terms of understated elegance rather than" wham, bam, thank you ma’am"?
The last time I had this wine was from the 1994 vintage when it was WOTN. It is truly an excellent ambassador for California wines in France, i.e., the style is not far-removed from seriously good Bordeaux.

With cheese :

1989 Ch. La Conseillante, Pomerol: Color definitely showing its age. Lovely nose with a quality the French call "empyreumatique". Less "burnt" than rubbery, very chacteristic of ripe Merlot. Both softness and structure on the palate and no point holding onto this any longer. Très classique and at its peak. Not a big, blowsy wine.

With a mincemeat tart:

1997 Ch. de Fargues, Sauternes: Ethereal bouquet and vibrant acidity on the palate to back up the sugar and richness. Medium-weight and fine, needs more time.

Best regards,
Alex R
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: A Bordeaux wine dinner

by Dale Williams » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:17 pm

Nice notes, thanks. The '89 Conseillante USED to be almost affordable not so long ago, now it's pushing $300.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:51 pm

Sounds good, I guess nobody wanted d'Yquem..
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:03 am

Had a similar positive experience with the 2000 Dominus, Alex. I agree-very elegant and balanced.

Alas, I did not shop around when I was looking for the 2004 and paied painfully too much. :oops: :(
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach