The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Good Felsina, Fantastic Dönnhoff

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Good Felsina, Fantastic Dönnhoff

by David M. Bueker » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:09 pm

2004 Fattoria di Felsina Berardenga Chianti Classico - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico (2/17/2008)
Opened to pair with a "deconstructed pesto" pizza (whole wheat crust topped with spinach, basil, cheese, garlic & pine nuts) this was classic Chianti, with strawberry and raspberry fruit, good acidic backbone and a medium bodied mouthfeel. Very nice wine.

And afterwards:

2006 Dönnhoff Schloßböckelheimer Felsenberg Riesling Auslese - Germany, Nahe (2/17/2008)
Creamy peach and raspberry aromatics with a lifting sense of citrus zest. The real fireworks are on the palate with electric fruit and honey, dynamite acidity and a long, fruity and mineral drenched finish. Fantastic wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: WTN: Good Felsina, Fantastic Dönnhoff

by Bill Hooper » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:19 pm

David, I just ordered a case of the Schlossböckelheimer Felsenberg Riesling Spätlese 2006 –sight unseen. (the Felsentürmchen Spätlese was almost $100 a case more, but was tempting.) My intent was to get a few mid-term drinkers in the cellar before we really got smacked with dollar v. euro price hikes (again). I think that we'll be paying dearly (relatively –Germany of course continues to offer stunning value.) for the '07s despite the slightly higher yields (of course I’ll bite –my daughter was born last year and needs some wine.) Have you tasted the Spätlese? What do you think?

Thanks David,
Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:49 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2004 Fattoria di Felsina Berardenga Chianti Classico - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico (2/17/2008)
Opened to pair with a "deconstructed pesto" pizza (whole wheat crust topped with spinach, basil, cheese, garlic & pine nuts) this was classic Chianti, with strawberry and raspberry fruit, good acidic backbone and a medium bodied mouthfeel. Very nice wine.

Did it pair well with the pizza? With those toppings I would have thought white, but the fruit provided a good contrast?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:00 pm

Bill Hooper wrote: Have you tasted the Spätlese? What do you think?

Very good wine. The Felsentürmchen is a mindblower though.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:01 pm

Keith M wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:2004 Fattoria di Felsina Berardenga Chianti Classico - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico (2/17/2008)

Did it pair well with the pizza? With those toppings I would have thought white, but the fruit provided a good contrast?

I like the Chianti because it has acidity and enough body to cut through all the cheese.