The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Garagiste Wines at Marouch PT. II

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gregg G

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Atwater Village, CA.

WTN: Garagiste Wines at Marouch PT. II

by Gregg G » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:47 pm

TN: GARAGISTE WINES AT MAROUCH PT. II - (2/17/2008)

We gathered at Marouch Restaurant in Los Angeles to enjoy the delights of multiple mezza and various kebabs in the company of wines from retailer Garagiste. This was our second Garagiste tasting within a year and could become a regular event. While we sipped and chewed we were entertained by the charming Poppy Davis as she engaged us in the dramatic and sometimes all too consuming prose of Jon Rimmerman, mastermind behind the Garagiste enterprise. Jon's enthusiasm is well known and his ability to turn simple village wines into mesmerizing jewels of great desire is unparalleled. As was demonstrated in our previous tasting here, not all of Jon's words are hyperbole.

We started with apair of aged Proseccos

• 1988 Trevisiol Prosecco di Valdobbiadene Extra Brut Vino Spumante Metodo Classico - Italy, Veneto, Prosecco di Valdobbiadene
    The wine showed almost no aromatics after opening. Color looked good with golden, wheat hues. With O2 exposure, maderized notes began to appear. Not a pleasurable drink and quite the opposite of the '89.
  • 1989 Trevisiol Prosecco di Valdobbiadene Extra Brut Vino Spumante Metodo Classico - Italy, Veneto, Prosecco di Valdobbiadene
    The complete opposite of the '88. The color shows as light golden. Some complexity to the nose with a little butterscotch and chopped nuts. The flavors mimick the nose with a light creamy mousse. Good length and acidity. Though this had some developed some complexity and was the best of the aged Prossecos (including the '86 we had last year), I'm not convinced these wines are meant for the cellar.

Next up was a flight of whites.

• 2005 Domaine des Forges Savennières Roche aux Moines - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Savennières
    Tough wine to judge and get a feel for. Popped and poured and showed very tight. Having had the '02 Baumard the other night, this wine paled in comparison. Judgement reserved.
  • 2006 Weingut Stadt Krems Grüner Veltliner Sandgrube - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kremstal
    Fantastic wine. Probably the qpr of the evening. Pungent nose of lemon blossum and verbena. Excellent fruit concentration. Great cut to the acidity with good lift. Long finish. This is a great find by Jon R. and what Garagiste is all about, imho. Super food wine.
  • 1981 Karthäuserhof Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    For a 27 yr old wine, this showed very young in both color, aromas and flavors. Very little complexity and developement. This was popped and poured and in hind sight, may have not allowed the wine to completely open up. I revisited the wine towards the end of night and not much had changed.
  • 1994 Schloss Schönborn Hochheimer Hölle Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Rheingau
    I believe this saw several hours of slow O2. Tight at first but opening up after returning later in the evening. Aromas are somewhat complex with some diesel. Minerals and citrus flavors. A layer of tart acidity pokes through clipping the finish a bit. I liked this wine.

The softest of the reds.

• 2005 Patrice Colin Coteaux du Vendômois Les Vignes d'Emilien Colin - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Coteaux du Vendômois
    Interesting wine. The tequila descriptor for the nose was evidenced and spot on. Earthy, sauvage like flavors. Better with food.
  • 2005 Coelho Pinot Noir - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    Varietally correct wine, just not what I expect from Oregon. Very ripe fruit with primary aromas and flavors and a decent structure to carry the fruit. Clean texture. Blind, I would have guessed Central Coast PN. Priced accordingly and correctly at $20.
  • 2005 Caves des Vignerons Saumur-Champigny Reserve des Vignerons - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur-Champigny
    Nice and simple wine, but showing plenty of verve and presence. Smooth Cab. Franc mouthfeel with some deopth to the fruit. Good structure and length. A super wine to pair with food. A steal at $10.

Grenache-o-rama.

• 2004 Domaine Grand Lauze Vin de Pays d'Hauterive La Mariole - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Languedoc, Vin de Pays d'Hauterive
    Chunky and rustic. The fruit is somewhat crude. Rather out classed in this flight.
  • 1999 Domaine les Pallières Gigondas - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Gigondas
    I opened this 4 hours prior to serving. Inital taste/smells where not very revelaing at all. At service, notes of garrigue, black pepper and lavendar on both the nose and palate. Nice evolution, currently showing a suave fruit profile. Very well balanced. Nice length on the finish. A very nice wine. I can't be certain this was a Garagiste purchase, but my entry note on cellartracker show it that way. In any case, it was a nice addition to the line up.
  • 2005 Domaine Isabel Ferrando Châteauneuf-du-Pape Colombis - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Popped and poured and in retrospect, should have seen a healthy decant. Tight nose not revelaing a lot. Rich, dense raspberry fruit palate with some weight. Tannic and a bit coarse. Acidity is low. Good length. If I owned this I would cellar to loose some fat. Doesn't strike me as a long term wine.

A trio of heavyweights.

• 2002 Three Hills Shiraz - Australia, Western Australia, South West Australia, Margaret River
    Strong menthol, eucalyptus nose with some barely discernable fruit. The palate is better, but I can't get past the "Bengay" aromas that eventually overpower the wine. After about 30 minutes, it did begin to receed a bit I had moved on.
  • 1998 Bodegas Valduero Ribera del Duero Reserva - Spain, Castilla y León, Ribera del Duero
    Oaky and bit disjointed. The fruit is buried under a very tannic and acidic structure. Perhaps bottle age will help.
  • 1999 Feudi di San Gregorio Taurasi Riserva Piano Di Montevergine - Italy, Campania, Taurasi
    The wine was decanted, though I'm not certain for how long. Extremely rich wine with tons of dark extracted fruits. I agree with other tasters noting a mineral, iron-like quality. Some floral notes on the nose. Well structured. A very good wine but needs years in the cellar, imho.

A sweet one to finish.

• 2005 Domaine les Grandes Vignes Bonnezeaux Malabe - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Bonnezeaux
    Very sweet with boytritis and stone fruits. Unfortunately, lacks acidity.

Thanks to all that joined in the fun and stay tuned for round III.
Last edited by Gregg G on Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Garagist Wines at Marouch PT. II

by Rahsaan » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:22 pm

Gregg G wrote:2005 Domaine des Forges Savennières Roche aux Moines

Interesting. I've never heard of this domaine, and always thought the only people with vines in RAM were Soulez, Papin, Laroche and Joly.

But, things have been changing, and people have been selling.

1981 Karthäuserhof Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg Riesling Spätlese
For a 27 yr old wine, this showed very young in both color, aromas and flavors. Very little complexity and developement. This was popped and poured and in hind sight, may have not allowed the wine to completely open up. I revisited the wine towards the end of night and not much had changed.

Had a bottle last month with a few folks (Jay Miller, Chris Coad) and the consensus (over several hours indeed) was that it was Lyle Fass Battery Acid.

Maybe Rimmerman and Lyle should get together :D