The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Von Volxem Schartzhofberg 2006

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Fredrik

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:01 pm

WTN: Von Volxem Schartzhofberg 2006

by Fredrik » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:55 am

This is the normal dry bottling. It was as always tasted blind.

Nice drinking with OK balance of all components. Medium in most aspects except a very nice complex minerality. A bit too sharp taste because of its youth. Its relative lack of harmony is its largest defect with a somewhat provocative fruit. 13/20

I am a picky taster so 13 is a good indeed and in line with the price here. I must say that after a shaky start Von Volxem is improving. 2006 was on the whole successful for him. The provocative fruit might be harmonized if the wine develops with balance so I wouldn't be surprised if I score this higher when it gets 6 months or a year more, but I don't think it will live a long life.

Best
Fredrik Svensson, Luxembourg
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Von Volxem Schartzhofberg 2006

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:44 am

It is interesting that you say "after a shaky start." I have seen rampant praise around the net for van Volxem, and for the most part I have not been moved by the wines. I acutally bought a few 2003 bottlings (the natural Saar acidity saving the wines from the worst of the 2003 doldrums), but when faced with the limited bottlings for particular parecels I have been unimpressed, at least given the prices being asked for the wines.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Alan Gardner

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:41 pm

Toronto

by Alan Gardner » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:19 am

Hi Fredrik in Luxembourg,
I recall turning up at Egon Muller's (the elder) one day and having to wait as he'd cycled to Luxembourg to buy his cigarettes - lower taxes there.
And similarly I've been somewhat disappointed with recent van Volxem's too. They seem to lack the 'preciseness' of the other producers.
But realistically, at that price, it's still a good alternative to most of the stuff we get in Ontario.

Alan
no avatar
User

Fredrik

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:01 pm

by Fredrik » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:26 am

David, I have pretty much the same observations as you. I think he started of very promising in the first vintages.

I would say he did quite well 2004 but there where problems with balance and very varied 2005s. His 2003s was, well, 2003s... if you know what I mean.

I think actually the problem is that he had too low yields in 2005 making the ripening process this warm year maybe too short or too drastic.

I detect a change with the 2006 that for me have more balance and harmony. Lets see what he can do 2007 and 2008!

Alan, nice to hear from you, how was last Barcelona trip? I agree with you on the price, I think he has quite low/medium prices.

Best
Fredrik Svensson, Luxembourg