The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Saturday Night Family Dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Saturday Night Family Dinner

by Howie Hart » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:25 am

This past Saturday evening (2/16)I hosted a family dinner at my house. It was the first time in over 3 years that all 5 of my sons were together. Tim is home on leave from Ft. Hood, TX for the month of February and Pete flew home from Ft. Lewis, WA for a long Presidents Day weekend. A fairly simple dinner of salad, homemade Italian sausage (see Forum Kitchen about the sausage), meatballs and rigatoni. We started off with Tosti Asti Spumante (a Christmas gift). Nice loud pop when the cork was pulled, lots of bubbles, simple, fruity and sweet. Decent for an Asti and everyone seemed to like it. With dinner, for the first time, we used the Riedel Vinum Bordeaux glasses that Tim bought for me for Fathers Day. I was more nervous than a cat with it’s tail under a rocking chair, but the glasses all survived. I opened a special bottle I received from Mike Filigenzi, his homemade 2004 Sangiovese. The bottle had thrown quite a bit of sediment and I should have decanted it. Deeply colored dark garnet. Excellent nose – very aromatic; leather, earth. Good acidity – tannin balance and long, mouth filling finish. A superb wine. With several folks around the table and those big glasses the wine was gone quickly. So I opened 2005 Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon ($8.99). Decent, sound wine that went OK with the dinner, but nothing great here. Pete apparently still hasn’t acquired a taste for reds, so he drank my home made 2005 oaked Chardonnay, which he liked. Just coffee and pie for dessert. A simple but memorable family dinner.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

Re: Saturday Night Family Dinner

by Victorwine » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:45 am

Howie wrote:
………A simple but memorable family dinner.

There the best Howie!!!

Salute
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:10 pm

Nice....it's not really about the wine, but about the sharing and the company, and nothing better than family. Congrats on 5 sons too!!!

And it's just glass, them there Ree-dels....
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:17 am

Nothing could be better than having all of your boys home again. Memorable, indeed!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child