The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: wherein the whole is greater than the sum of the parts

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: wherein the whole is greater than the sum of the parts

by Saina » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:56 pm

I had one of the loveliest dinners in a long time tonight. The foods were pretty straight forward, the wines (dessert excepted) aren't considered great wines in general, but the whole was greater than the sum of the components.

Char-grilled salmon salad was pretty nice with Quinta do Ameal Loureiro Vinho Verde Ponte de Lima 2006, but maybe such a greasy fish would have needed a more robust wine? A delicate nose of pear, minerals and some herbaceousness. Dry, light but forceful, very lively and mineral, almost metallic. A fantastic wine for the price (13 or so € here, so probably a fraction of that elsewhere).

With a rustic stew of beef in red wine, herbs and black olives we had Pegovino Sélectionné par Laurence Féraud 2006 a Grenache + Syrah from VdP d'Oc. Usually I'm not much of a fan of Grenache based wines, but at just under 10€ I must admit that I might get a few more bottles of this. A bit of spice and garrigue, lifted and bright but with dark and even honeyed low notes. Primary and a bit chemical now, but with refreshing tannins boxing in the copious fruit and a lovely tartness bringing freshness.

For dessert we started on a bottle of Domaine des Baumards Quarts de Chaume 2004 which was just stupendous. A lovely, pure Chenin nose of quince, quinine, peas/greenness/vegetation. Sweet but refreshingly acidic, very lively and pure. The mineral-water aftertaste lasts forever. Lovely; and very moreish despite being a dessert!

-Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: wherein the whole is greater than the sum of the parts

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:08 pm

It's nice when that happens and everything sings.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:53 pm

Otto,
I know it probably gets beat to death but IMHO the wine and food match is an order of magnitude more important than the wine or the food. Anyone can open an '89 Lynch Bage and proclaim it "great", give it a 95 or three thumbs up. To me I would rather open a good muscadet with mussels than the Lynch Bages with a poorly matched food.
Walt
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:41 pm

wrcstl wrote:I know it probably gets beat to death but IMHO the wine and food match is an order of magnitude more important than the wine or the food.

I'm not sure it does get beaten to death as this advice doesn't seem to be followed very much.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.