The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: One Russian River Valley Pinot Noir, one from Burgundy

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: One Russian River Valley Pinot Noir, one from Burgundy

by JC (NC) » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:21 pm

2006 Pellegrini Olivet Lane Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley, CA
I purchased this bottle while in Sonoma last October. Have had Olivet Lane before from a couple producers. Pellegrini is the family owning the vineyard which grows Chardonnay and Pinot Noir grapes.
The Pinot Noir sells for $35 from the tasting room.

14.1% alcohol Viscous.
Burgundy color with some brilliance in the center. Semi-transparent. Slightly tannic but also reflects dark fruit--damson plum and perhaps boysenberry. Very satiny on day three. Recommended.

2002 Daniel Boquenet Nuits-St.-Georges "Aux Saint Julien"
This Burgundy was listed at 13% alcohol and was non-filtered. Dark prunish color. Purple fruits on the nose and palate. Very refreshing. Doesn't taste shut down although I was taking a chance that it might be in a dormant phase. Pretty good with my meal of sweet and sour pork and white rice but would probably match better to duck with plum sauce or prunes. Worth the purchase.
Last edited by JC (NC) on Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

Re: WTN: One Russian River Valley Pinot Noir, one from Burgundy

by Michael Malinoski » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:14 pm

JC (NC) wrote:2002 Daniel Boquenet Nuits-St.-Georges "Aux Saint Julien"
This Burgundy was listed at 13% alcohol and was non-filtered. Dark prunish color. Purple fruits on the nose and palate. Very refreshing. Doesn't taste shut down although I was taking a chance that it might be in a dormant phase. Pretty good with my meal of sweet and sour pork and white rice but would probably match better to duck with plum sauce or prunes. Worth the purchase.

Thanks for the notes. Oddly, I did have the 1996 version of this same wine with duck and plum sauce just last week. It was indeed a fine pairing. That wine is still tasting extremely young to my taste, by the way.

-Michael
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:02 pm

Michael Malinoski wrote:
JC (NC) wrote:2002 Daniel Boquenet Nuits-St.-Georges "Aux Saint Julien"

Thanks for the notes. Oddly, I did have the 1996 version of this same wine with duck and plum sauce just last week. It was indeed a fine pairing. That wine is still tasting extremely young to my taste, by the way.

-Michael

And I had the 2004 on Tuesday sans duck, but with the Bocquenet Vosne-Romanee 2005 (not a bad pairing, btw. :D ) Both were obviously too young, but very good none the less. I love how Bocquenet straddles the line between pristine terroir expressiveness and raw, filthy power. Alas, he is retiring soon :cry: .
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:33 am

Thanks Michael and Bill for the additional notes. I, too, am sorry to hear that Boquenet is retiring soon.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:51 am

Bill Hooper wrote: I love how Bocquenet straddles the line between pristine terroir expressiveness and raw, filthy power. Alas, he is retiring soon :cry: .

Another fan of Bocquenet here. His "retirement" has been rumored for years. I guess I will believe it when I see it. I've been buyng Bocquenet since the late '90s (unusual for me, as I only "got" Burgundy in about 2002), and the wines invariably impress. His Echezeaux reminds me why the site is grand cru.
Decisions are made by those who show up