The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Joseph Swan Winery newsletter

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Joseph Swan Winery newsletter

by John Treder » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:46 pm

I got an e-mail from Joseph Swan winery containing Rod Berglund's latest newsletter. He has an interesting bit of history in it; here's the intro:

In 1979 a few friends; Bob Goyette, Rick Burmetster, John Bessey, Rich Gibbons, Linda Strickland, and I, took the plunge. We formed a partnership and founded Bonded Winery CA-4916, La Crema Viñera, in Petaluma, California. It wasn’t easy but we did it. I had spent the preceding months carefully doing projections until I could, upon command, tell you how many bottles of wine you got from a ton, how much space it took to ferment white juice and red must, how many barrels were needed for x amount of fruit and what it cost, down to the cent, to bottle a case of wine. I knew the numbers inside and out. I had priced out every piece of equipment needed and found cheaper alternatives. In short, we had the beginnings of a business plan.

He's released the '05 Estate and Great Oak PN's and the '06 Cuvee de Trois. Here's a bit of his note on the Estate: "As I have mentioned before, I love the 2005 vintage for pinot noir. While most of them offer a lot on release, it is clear that the best will handsomely reward aging. This one certainly will. It is fairly dark, very dense, with a powerful nose of deep cherry, forest floor,
wild violets, black walnut, and raw stone (I am not just making this up! Really!)"

I'm sure he'd send you a copy if you want one. rod@swanwinery.com
John in the wine county