The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: An excellent Dry White

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

WTN: An excellent Dry White

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:33 am

My wife gave up wine for Lent. Silly thing, but since she usually demands red wines, this has allowed me to delve into some whites I've been wanting to taste. A couple of nights ago, I opened a bottle of Hart's Wine Cellars Dry White. This is a blend of 40% Vidal, 35% Vignoles, and 25% Cayuga made by some guy named Howie Hart :wink: .

I pulled it right out of the basement and popped it with no further chilling. Color was a deep lemon yellow. There were very forward aromas that I had a hard time putting a name to - maybe some peach, maybe some lemon oil, maybe a little roussanne-type waxiness. Initially very full in the mouth, with fruit/lemon oil flavors that carried through a full mid-palate. Then bright acidity took over, leading to a long, tart, lifting finish. This is a white wine with some heft that comes off without a trace of flabbiness to it and which ought to go well with a variety of foods. Very nice stuff.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: An excellent Dry White

by Howie Hart » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:08 am

Glad you liked it Mike. Blending can be fun and Vignoles can add some complexity.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: An excellent Dry White

by Paul B. » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:08 pm

I enjoyed your note, Mike!

Yes, Howie's wines are favourites of mine too. I love the idea of a three-way white hybrid blend. Scotch Block, one of the only wineries immediately west of the GTA, makes what I call a "field blend" that's known as Halton White. The 2002 release, which was the first-ever release, was a blend of Vidal, Seyval, Cayuga and Auxerrois - the only vinifera component. The Auxerrois was killed off the following winter, so now it's a blend of the survivor varieties! I loved the '02 release: you could really pick up some gorgeous light foxy whiffs from the very ripe Cayugas that year. That wine clocked in at 13.7% alc. and was finished with about 1% r.s.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca