The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

article in today's Lexinton Herald Leader on tasting

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Cole

Rank

Just got here

Sun May 20, 2007 11:22 am

article in today's Lexinton Herald Leader on tasting

by Bill Cole » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:18 am

In today's Lexington Herald Leader there was in interesting article on an experiment to "prove" that price influences our enjoyment of wine more that the taste of the wine itself. The hyperlink for the article is below-- just click and read. I'm curious to the group's reaction.

Bill Cole
Lexington, KY

http://www.kentucky.com/216/story/325363.html
no avatar
User

D Honig

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:57 pm

Indianapolis, IN

Re: article in today's Lexinton Herald Leader on tasting

by D Honig » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:21 pm

I loved the last line. I actually laughed out loud.

That said, I don't think much of the study. The subjects gave the answers expected of them. So what? Subjects ALWAYS do that. The real question is just how much distinction anybody could make getting a fifth of a teaspoon of wine injected into their mouth through a straw (and probably the same straw for every wine). I am not very impressed by the protocol. I suspect it was put together by somebody (a) who does not drink much wine, and (b) decided their conclusion and built the experiment around it.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:04 pm

Bill Cole wrote:In today's Lexington Herald Leader there was in interesting article on an experiment to "prove" that price influences our enjoyment of wine more that the taste of the wine itself. The hyperlink for the article is below-- just click and read. I'm curious to the group's reaction.

Bill Cole
Lexington, KY

http://www.kentucky.com/216/story/325363.html

Hi Bill, and welcome to the WLDG. I too am a Lexingtonian, having lived here since 1978. I retired from the National Weather Service office at Bluegrass Field in 1996. I have been here since the beginning of the original WLDG which was late summer 1996 IIRC. There are now Three of us from Lexington on board now the third being Jeff Yeast. PM me if you would like to get together sometime to "put a face to a name".

Note: Jeff, you and I have been meaning to do the above for a while now, so lets "do it".
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:30 pm

Bob H wants "to do it". Make sure you both show much appreciation for any Marsanne served!!!!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:14 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Bob H wants "to do it". Make sure you both show much appreciation for any Marsanne served!!!!

Bob, If we actually get around to popping corks, I will be sure to open a Marsanne and lift a glass in a northwest direction!
Bob Henrick