The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Random WTNs and my own scoring system

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

D Honig

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:57 pm

Indianapolis, IN

Random WTNs and my own scoring system

by D Honig » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:55 am

First, the scoring system. I work with words, so numbers and stars don't really speak to me. Instead, as I taste a wine I try to think to myself, "who would I want to share this with?" So here is my system:

"Box neighbors." The well-intentioned but loud neighbors. You know the ones. Their kids are a bit too loud and stay out a bit too late. Their dog barks too early and too much. Whenever there's a neighborhood barbecue they bring a box of wine and expect you to tell them how wonderful it is.

"Gift friends." You know them, too. The know you collect wine, so on their way to your house they stop at the grocery and buy the second- or third-cheapest bottle on the shelf. They are very nice people and are really trying hard. I save these bottles with the name of the person that gave it to me, so I don't share with or regift back the same bottle.

"Weekday family." This is just for the every day something-to-quaff-with-dinner-when-dinner-is-something-whipped-up-to-feed-the-kids wine.

"The acolyte." You know him, too. Heck you WERE him once, and so was I. This is the guy who is just starting to get into wine. These bottles are not wonderful, but they are very good standard examples of what a wine should be. You can say "do you taste the white pepper? That's a Zinfandel."

"The afficianado." We're getting to the good stuff now. This is the wine you taste and want another wine-drinking friend to taste too. You want to say "hey, try this," and know somebody else will appreciate it just as much as you do.

"Just me." We're all a little selfish. Once in a while you find something that you just can't share with anybody. You buy it and save it for the time the wife and kids are visiting her sister. Then you make yourself a steak, or some lamb, or something else wonderful, and spend the evening drinking it.

"Dad's death bed." I have not met this wine yet. If anybody has a bottle that qualifies send me an email and I will give you my shipping address. This is the bottle you open at your father's death bed, giving him a glass, or a sip, or just a drop on his lips, so he can enjoy a finish that truly lasts eternity. Then you sit with his body and drink the rest, sharing it with his departing soul.

Okay, now a few random notes, really just to see how the system works.

1997 Château Haut-Marbuzet (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe)

Rating- the afficianado. I would love to share this with somebody else who would enjoy it.

This was terrific. At first, I thought it was past its prime, a bit dark, pungent and pruny. Give it a couple of hours, though, and the florals really take over. The nose was a floral hot-house with cumin and cocoa to accompany lilac, lavender, and evn some soft rose. The palate was just as floral, with dark fruit, toast, and enough woodiness and earth to remind you where it came from. The finish, well, on the second day I had a taste to see if it lasted, then had to go somewhere, and it was still with me as I drove out of the neighborhood. I know where there are two more bottles on the clearance table, and I'm going back tomorrow.

2004 J. Lohr Cabernet Sauvignon Seven Oaks (USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles)

Rating- gift friends. This is grocery store Cabernet. You can just taste the floating wood chips.

Vanilla, brown sugar nose. Cherries and blueberries, vanilla, and a lot of brown sugar on toast. Very sweet and toasty. To me, this tasted like a mass-market in-your-face cabernet. This bottle was a gift.

2005 Domaine Chandon Pinot Noir (USA, California, Napa Valley, Carneros)

Rating- the acolyte. Nothing great here, but if you want to show somebody generic California pinot, this is it.

Raspberries and bramble nose. Flat cherry cola and black tea with black pepper. This is a good, but PERFECTLY typical, California pinot.

2004 Scarlatta Montepulciano d'Abruzzo (Italy, Abruzzi, Montepulciano d'Abruzzo)

Rating- Box neighbors.

Pale dull red. Sweet candy caramel and peppermint nose. Blackberries, sour cherries, leather and vanilla palate, rather sweet. Finish was dried cherries, tar and tobacco. Not great, or even very good, but more than adequate, and an amazing bargain for the price. I keep this in the cellar for when the neighbors come over, because we always go through 3 or 4 bottles, and by then they can't tell the difference.

Once again, if anybody has an extra bottle of something that might qualify as "Dad's death bed" let me know. I'll even split the shipping costs.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Random WTNs and my own scoring system

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:31 pm

D Honig wrote:First, the scoring system. I work with words, so numbers and stars don't really speak to me. Instead, as I taste a wine I try to think to myself, "who would I want to share this with?" So here is my system:

Nice system, thanks! I love most of it and respect the rest, although as a matter of personal taste the deathbed metaphor seems sad to me. I see where you're going with it, though. :)

Good notes, too, keep 'em coming!
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:43 pm

D Honig wrote:First, the scoring system. I work with words, so numbers and stars don't really speak to me. Instead, as I taste a wine I try to think to myself, "who would I want to share this with?" So here is my system:...

"Box Neighbors" sounds like my neighborhood except you forgot to mention the squeeky swingset...wait you do live not too far away.

BTW, I've had the Scarlatta and agree with your assessment. Back when I was ITB, we sold loads of this stuff...hey, it was cheap and contained alcohol which unfortunately are primary considerations for some wine buyers.

Bill
Last edited by Robin Garr on Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to remove much of repetitive backquote
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:00 pm

D Honig wrote:"Just me." We're all a little selfish. Once in a while you find something that you just can't share with anybody. You buy it and save it for the time the wife and kids are visiting her sister. Then you make yourself a steak, or some lamb, or something else wonderful, and spend the evening drinking it.

I like your scoring system but like Robin am a little confused about the "death bed". I would change the "Just me" to "Just us", a wine to be drank when the kids are away. I can truly say I do not enjoy drinking wine by myself and if I do it much more likely to be average stuff. The really old and great stuff in my cellar is usually just shared by the two of us.
Walt
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:38 pm

This reminds me of Stuart's "Three Stooges Wine Rating System", which is one of my favorites.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:44 pm

LOL. Woo Woo Woo!!!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:47 pm

Howie Hart wrote:This reminds me of Stuart's "Three Stooges Wine Rating System", which is one of my favorites.

I give this post a Triple Curly.

Mark Lipton