The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

'82 Chateau Calon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

'82 Chateau Calon

by Mike B. » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:40 am

Is anyone familiar with this particular wine? I've done a little bit of research but haven't found anything. The appellation is St. Georges-St. Emilion, and the bottle identifies the viticulteur as J.N. Boidron.

I picked it up as a gamble for about $30. I didn't expect much, but it was an '82 so I thought I'd give it a go. The cork had a bit of mould on the top, but was intact and in otherwise great shape. There was some fruit on the nose and currants on the palate. It quickly fell apart, though, and had a nutty aftertaste.

Ah well.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: '82 Chateau Calon

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:49 am

This all I could find Mike. I referred to my new search engine Able Grape.

http://www.verema.com/comunidad/vinosca ... ?vino=4419
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: '82 Chateau Calon

by Dale Williams » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:25 pm

Too bad. Lots of lesser '82s were very good wines, can see why you took a chance.

But I not really surprised that it fell apart quickly, 26 years is really pushing it for satellite Right Bankers. Of the RB satellites, I've had the most luck (by far) aging Fronsac, some can age as well as some St Emilion GCC. I've had some nice moderately aged Canon-Fronsac, Cotes du Bourg, Cotes de Castillon,and Lalande de Pomerols. I don't think I have ever had a St Georges St Emilion, Montagne St Emilion,Lussac-St Em, Cotes de Francs or Cotes de Blaye that I thought was better at 10 years than on release. Maybe Alex has examples that age well.