The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chasse Spleen, Beyer, 389, Tua Rita, Ruffino

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Chasse Spleen, Beyer, 389, Tua Rita, Ruffino

by Jay Labrador » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:22 pm

February 25 was a holiday here in Manila so it was a good chance for some catching up with Nico, Jimi, Dennis, Arnie and Helen.

Leon Beyer Comtes d'Eguisheim Tokay Pinot Gris 1997 - Butterscotch and slightly overripe fruit. Good complexity. Stll going strong. Surprisingly good with a Greek Salad.

Chateau Chasse Spleen 2004 - Sweet fruit nose. Very dry. Classic Bordeaux flavor. Good acidity in finish. Not too interesting by itself but good with food.

Penfolds Bin 389 Cabernet Shiraz 2004 - Curry spice and herbs on the nose. Very good in a non-Oz way. Very good balance with lots of tannins on the dry finish. Obviously very young but has the stuffing to become an outstanding wine given time.

Ruffino Riserva Ducale Oro Chianti Classico 2001 - Dried cherry. A little woodiness. Surprisingly sweet which is not something I associate with Chianti. Light. Good to drink now.

Tua Rita Giusto di Notri 2003 - A little hot. Rich. Veryt annic. Dried fruit and prunes. Chocolate makes an appearance after a few hours in the decanter. Needs time. Already very good now but will be even better in a few years. This was unbelievably good with herb-crusted lamb chops.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Chasse Spleen, Beyer, 389, Tua Rita, Ruffino

by Dale Williams » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:43 pm

thanks for notes. 389 is the OZ wine I've bought the most, but haven't lately. 2004 sounds nice.
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

Re: WTN: Chasse Spleen, Beyer, 389, Tua Rita, Ruffino

by R Cabrera » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:50 pm

Jay,

I like Tua Rita. I’ve not had the Giusto di Notri, but I’ve had a hard time keeping away from the few 2003 Perlato del Bosco that I have. The Perlato is the lower priced one (about half the price of the Giusto) and I think it’s a pretty good value.
Ramon Cabrera