The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Vielle Ferme, Grand Mayne, and a German GV

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Vielle Ferme, Grand Mayne, and a German GV

by Dale Williams » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:36 pm

Betsy was schedled to go to Boston Friday, but decided to leave after dinner Thursday  to beat snow. We had a quick dinner of leftover Bolognese and some broccoli rabe. I opened the 2005 La Vieille Ferme (Cotes du Ventoux)rouge. Usual dependable self, light blackberry and raspberry fruit, a balanced acidity, low tannin, easy to drink. Not long or complex, but certainly a decent buy at around $7.B-/B

When I came in Friday I eyed the mostly full bottle of LVF. But after a tough work day and lots of shoveling, I felt I needed to reward myself a little. I had beef braciole in a tomato sauce, but instead of Italian went French. The 1999 Grand Mayne (St Emilion GCC) seemed thin and acidic when opened, but that was just because it was too cold. As it warmed it seemed quite low acid. A friendly slurpable fairly modern St. Em, warm black plum and currant fruit, a little lead pencil, some toasty oak notes. Holds up pretty well, on Saturday it had a bit of a cigarbox note, though there was still a hint of light vanilla oak. Definitely shows as Bordeaux, but in a slightly "international" style. B+

On Saturday as I did a fridge leftover sweep, besides the St. Emilion I opened the 2005 Strub Niersteiner Gruner Veltliner Kabinett Feinherb (Rheinhessen), my first non-Austrian GV. I always confused by "feinherb,"but expected something along the lines of a halbtrocken- some RS, but you really have to look for it. Well, the sugar was a bit more obvious here- I'd say "normal' Kabinett (not that far from Spatlesen of yore). I think the surprise of the sweetness obscured the GVness of this at first, I'd certainly have guessed Riesling blind. Peach and yellow plum, a little floral note. When I really concentrate there's a more characteristic white pepper note. Nice wine, but I think I'm happier with fully dry Austrian GV. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Vielle Ferme, Grand Mayne, and a German GV

by David M. Bueker » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:34 pm

I've followed Strub's Grüner Veltliner from the very start (apologies to Tom Hill), tasting the very first version at the winery in fall 2003. It was not released commercially until the 2005 vintage. It's cheap, quaffable & just darned fun in screwcap!
Decisions are made by those who show up