The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1996 Bodegas Ismael Arroyo Ribera del Duero Val Sotillo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 1996 Bodegas Ismael Arroyo Ribera del Duero Val Sotillo

by Jason Hagen » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:04 pm

1996 Bodegas Ismael Arroyo Ribera del Duero Val Sotillo - Spain, Castilla y León, Ribera del Duero (2/11/2008)
A few of us had this in Long Beach while David Bueker was in town. We had some nice wines .... didn't write them all down but I though I should post about the one I brought. This wine is a showing beautifully right now. Sweet candied fruit on the nose that is so pure. The palate follows as a clean and complex wine. I loved it. I did save a small amount for the next day but it had gone a bit weird. My initial impression was that this had a lot of life left ... I still think it does, but keep in mind it did go way downhill after being open for a day. I was very very sad that this was my last bottle. (94 pts.)

Peace,
Jason
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 1996 Bodegas Ismael Arroyo Ribera del Duero Val Sotillo

by David M. Bueker » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:35 pm

That was a really good wine. We had a bunch of good wines that night. Too bad I didn't bring a pen.

Thanks for coming to dinner.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:56 pm

Jason, it is nice to read a favorable review of this wine. I had about 3-4 from two different sources that were to various degrees flawed (mostly leakers) several years ago. There was a time a few years back when it seemed half the notes I read on this wine suggested leakage. Glad to hear it was worth holding onto (and it sounds like you've had good bottles all along).

-Michael
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:10 pm

I haven't had one of these in years. Thanks for the flashback.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:19 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:That was a really good wine. We had a bunch of good wines that night. Too bad I didn't bring a pen.

For sure we had the 2000 Palacios L'Ermita which was very nice...and big. Also your wine, the 2005 Domaine Chandon de Briailles Pernand-Vergelesses "ile des Vergelesses that was fantastic. I really loved it. Aromatically it was intoxicating. Obviously needs many years.

Jason
Last edited by Jason Hagen on Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:22 pm

Michael Malinoski wrote:Jason, it is nice to read a favorable review of this wine. I had about 3-4 from two different sources that were to various degrees flawed (mostly leakers) several years ago. There was a time a few years back when it seemed half the notes I read on this wine suggested leakage. Glad to hear it was worth holding onto (and it sounds like you've had good bottles all along).

My Spanish cellar is very thin from 97 to 2001 because was too scarred after all the 94-96s leaked ... multiple producers. But I must say that even my leakers have drank just fine but I would be concerned about long term aging. But the wine had not leaked.

Jason
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:56 am

The L'Ermita was a real eye opener. I expected something big, aoky and extracted, and while it was big, it was balanced and delicious. It was the best match with my lamb ragu.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:05 pm

Good memories. Over the past decade this winery has sadly and progressively lost its place among the Ribera del Duero frontrunners and is no longer producing comparable wines.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:00 am

Victor de la Serna wrote:Good memories. Over the past decade this winery has sadly and progressively lost its place among the Ribera del Duero frontrunners and is no longer producing comparable wines.

That is too bad. I don't have any later ones ... I guess that is a good thing. Thanks for the info because I was going to start seeking this out again.

Jason