The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Château Haut Nadeau Réserve du Propriétaire

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter M Czyryca

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:54 pm

WTN: 2005 Château Haut Nadeau Réserve du Propriétaire

by Peter M Czyryca » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:39 pm

Grabbed this today for $11.

Had never heard of the Chateau before - but it was part of a stores newsletter and for short money sounded intriguing. The first 2005 Bdx that I've tasted and I must admit, it's a solid wine, if blatantly and unabashedly new world. Note, I didn't say Bdx. VERY new world.

I was taken aback by the color, just a gorgeous deep red with some purple tint.

There is some serious black cherry fruit buried underneath the oaky/vanilla exterior, but it's of a raisiny-plummy character and reminds me of a $8-15 Cali Zin/Syrah hybrid - minus the pepper/spice. I honestly think there was a great wine here that the Chateau masked with oak, and it tastes more like the floating wood chip variety than barrel.

There's nothing too complex about the wine, but there are some nice leather/tar nuances, also buried under the oak. You need to seek it out, but it's there. All backed by the "trademark" (from what I've heard) 2005 tannins.

All in all, for $11, I may buy one or two more just to see what happens once/if the oak integrates and the tannins slough off. At worst, it will be a hit with the relatives at Thanksgiving/Christmas.