The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: EaglePoint Syrah '05...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: EaglePoint Syrah '05...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Tried this from my recent shipment last night:
1. EaglepointRanchWnry Syrah MendocinoCnty (14.4%; http://www.EaglePointRanch.com) 2005: Black color; very strong blackberry/Syrah/boysenberry bit minerally/licorice/herbal/olive light toasty/oak slight roasted/Rhonish/coffee nose; tart bit hard/tannic very strong blackberry/Syrah slight roasted/Rhonish/pungent flavor; very long somewhat tannic/hard/chalky light roasted/Rhonish/espresso strong blackberry/Syrah/licorice/pungent finish; needs several yrs yet and should go out ten; a lovely/beautiful Syrah w/ great structure in the SteveEdmunds mold; a steal at $23.00
1. Grown and made, of course, by our own CaseyHartlip. We tried his trio (Grenache/PetiteSirah/Syrah) upon their release last Fall and was mightly impressed, especially the Syrah, and ordered a bunch. The Syrah has gotten even better over the last 6 months and is starting to show some Rhonish character that I really liked. One of the best Syrahs coming out of MendocinoCnty these days.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: EaglePoint Syrah '05...(short/boring)

by Brian K Miller » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:50 pm

I was really impressed by all of the EaglePointe wines at the Medocino event last year! The Coro Mendocino was great!

Strangely, the ZIn made by Elysse from EaglePointe fruit was sweet and simple and not very good.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach