The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Nickel and NIckel Bonfire Vineyard 2005 Zinfandel

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

WTN: Nickel and NIckel Bonfire Vineyard 2005 Zinfandel

by Doug Surplus » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:51 pm

I know, we're supposed to be drinking value Bordeaux this month. However, I didn't see Bordeaux matching the tri-tip char-grilled to rare, then finished with 3-pepper sauce (Trader Joe's is my friend).

So chose this, a Zin my daughter had at a wine bar and convinced me to try. She's developing a nice palate for wine, but I was still hesitant since this is a 15% "monster" Zin. The wine store clerk called it Parker fruit bomb. (I don't even know if The Bob has tasted it). But I decided to try it anyway.

Well it's not what I would think of as a Parker fruit bomb:

Attractive nose of spices and bramble fruit, with a hint of vanilla. Blackberry and cranberry dance over the tongue, moderate tannins and decent acidity make way for a lingering clean finish of freshly cut, tart fall apples. A little more vanilla emerges when with time, but it doesn't become obtrusive. Nicely balanced in spite of the 15% alcohol. It seems food-friendly - only the unexpected spice of the 3-pepper sauce kept it from being a good match with dinner. $50 at Sportman's Fine Wines and Spirits.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?