- 1996 Karthäuserhof Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg Riesling Spätlese #23 - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Ruwer (6/4/2006)
AP 3 561 303 10 97. 7,5% abv. Light colour, greenish. The nose is austere, steely, mineral, citrussy - lovely! The palate is also austere, though with a touch of sweetness, citrussy, intense, mineral and very, very long. Lovely!
- 1997 Weingut Karlsmühle Kaseler Kehrnagel Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Saar (6/4/2006)
AP 3 536 016 24 98. 8,0% abv. Light gold. The nose is open, friendly and elegant rather than austere but still very mineral. There is that olive stone character that I find is a precursor to petrolliness and also a bit of cheesiness and wet wool (reduction?) which disappear after a few hours open. Lovely nose! The palate is gladly also lovely: slightly sweet, with lovely acidity, citrussy, mineral, intense and very long. Lovely stuff but young!
- 2001 Kurt Hain Piesporter Domherr Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Mosel (6/4/2006)
AP 2 596 432 16 02. 7,5% abv. The colour is light gold, unevolved. The nose has slight mature elements like a hint of petrol and pungency, but is mostly unevolved and primarily fruity and sherbetty. The palate is rather sweet but balanced by decent acidity, but the mid-palate is sherbetty still. The aftertaste is deliciously acidic and citrussy. Very good potential.
- 2003 Kurt Hain Riesling Brut - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Mosel (6/4/2006)
Light yellow colour. The nose is very subdued but the elements noticable are pleasant: mineral water, citrus. The mousse is very fine and elegant. The palate is massively fruity, with low acidity, and absolutely no length. Odd: considering the subdued nose and utter lack of aftertaste, I would have said this slightly corked but that doesn't explain the massively fruity mid palate. I did like some elements of the wine, though, especially the Muscadet-like hints on the nose.
- 2004 Kurt Hain Piesporter Goldtröpfchen Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Mosel (6/4/2006)
AP 2 596 432 14 05. 7,5% abv. A pungently mineral nose, with an Albariño-like sea-breeze note, and a bit of passionfruit and blackcurrant leaves even - not really what I expected from the grape but very, very nice! The palate is off-dry, with decent acidity on the mid-palate which tends to grow more and more intense towards the end. Very good potential.
Posted from CellarTracker