The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Anyone heard of these small Rhone winemakers?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

BMcKenney

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:37 pm

Calgary

Anyone heard of these small Rhone winemakers?

by BMcKenney » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:36 pm

I have a chance to buy some Rhone wines from Opimiam which is probably the only Canadian wine club in existence. I believe the wine available with this club is generally of the lesser known variety by design and practicality. Not sure if anything listed below is going to contain anything familiar to anyone other than someone who knows the Rhone region very well. So if anyone knows anything I'd love to here from you.

Domaine Villabea (2005 Cote Rotie)
Domaine Gilles Flacher (2006 Saint Joseph)
Chateau De Montmirail (2006 Gigondas)
Domaine Maitre Curnier (2006 Vacqueyras)
Domaine Des Gigalons (2006 Chateauneuf Du Pape)

And from VIgnobles Du Peloux, an negociant.
Du Peloux Cote Rotie 2006
Jerome Sequin Vacqueyras 2005

Thanks,
Bryan
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: Anyone heard of these small Rhone winemakers?

by David Creighton » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:48 am

yes, but for only two of them.

villabea participated in the cote rotie market in ampuis in 2007 and i tasted their 2004 there. my note says it was oddly made and very old fashioned - followed by NO.

montmirail is a very respected producer which i would trust having had a number of them in the past.
david creighton
no avatar
User

BMcKenney

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:37 pm

Calgary

by BMcKenney » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:35 pm

David Creighton wrote:yes, but for only two of them.

villabea participated in the cote rotie market in ampuis in 2007 and i tasted their 2004 there. my note says it was oddly made and very old fashioned - followed by NO.

montmirail is a very respected producer which i would trust having had a number of them in the past.

Thanks, David. I sent my order in today. Gotta love discussion boards for getting info quickly. I don't know how people got thru life before the internet. I did order a case of the Montmirail Gigondas and I passed on the Villabea. As much as I was interested in the $38 price point of a Cote Rotie, I didn't want to end up with a case of wine I didn't like. I also ordered a case of DOMAINE DES ROMARINS SIGNARGUES CDR. I think I see a trend in my Rhone buying habits. I'll take some chances on S. Rhone, esp CDRV type AOCs and Grenache/Syrah blends, and try something not as well known. But I won't take the same risks when buying N. Rhone Syrah's.

Bryan
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:02 pm

$38 is cheap for cote rotie but i think you did the right thing. i love northern rhones; and don't usually regard them as more difficult choices than southern - its just that they are usually more expensive. i picked up a nice crozes hermitage with all the right stuff in chicago for $16. you probably owe it to yourself to go to that cote rotie market sometime - nearly all the producers pouring generous samples and selling for about 25e. but remember to bring lots of ready - many don't take credit cards!
david creighton