The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

$27.00 (USD) QBA? I'm confused

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Michael A

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:03 pm

Eugene Oregon

$27.00 (USD) QBA? I'm confused

by Michael A » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:44 pm

On the shelves of a couple of wine shops here (Eugene, Oregon) have a Clemens Busch QBA (no vineyard designation) for $27.00. I had a hard time putting up $20.00 for a 2004 M. Prum QBA, Are the wines from Busch that great? (I have not tasted any since this was the first I found from this producer), If so I wonder what the predicate wines go for? Is this the bad dollar or the wave of the future?

Thanks
Michael
"There are more old wine drinkers than old doctors" German proverb
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: $27.00 (USD) QBA? I'm confused

by Paul Winalski » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:01 pm

It's the ever-sinking dollar.

Heil Bush!

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:53 pm

Michael A wrote:On the shelves of a couple of wine shops here (Eugene, Oregon) have a Clemens Busch QBA (no vineyard designation) for $27.00. I had a hard time putting up $20.00 for a 2004 M. Prum QBA, Are the wines from Busch that great? (I have not tasted any since this was the first I found from this producer), If so I wonder what the predicate wines go for? Is this the bad dollar or the wave of the future?

Thanks
Michael

Michael, I know this will probably not make me popular with the riesling fans on the board, but at $27 that or any qba can sit on the shelves. I have a lot of reserve spending that much for a kabinett, much less a qba. If the producer has under classified his wine and it really is a spatlese quality, then let him put it on the label, or charge less for it.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Michael A

Rank

Wine geek

Eugene Oregon

by Michael A » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:52 pm

Thanks for the support Bob
I agree with you totally, especially when I can get a St Urbans-hof, or Saarsteiner QBA's (which are very good quaffing wines in my opinon) for half the price. This one will stay on the shelf for me also.

Michael
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:52 am

Buy Moenchhof Qba for less than half that price. It is excellent quality and value.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:15 am

I am a big admirer of Busch´s wines, but the price quoted is horrifying. I paid the equivalent of $12,50 for the Pündericher Marienburg Riesling Kabinett 2005 at the estate, and $24 for the 2006 version in a restaurant in Traben-Trarbach...

Greetings / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:50 am

Clemens-Busch is trying to cultivate an image of superiority through high pricing in the US. The same thing is happening with Heymann-Lowenstein and Van Volxem. The prices are out in front of the local recognition, but it's not working as a marketing strategy.

Also - be careful that you're not dealing with a dry Riesling that has been deliberately stripped of pradikat in one of the newer labeling schemes. Is there a vineyard site listed on the label? If so, then you are likely dealing with more than just a QbA. If not then you;re dealing with price gouging by marketing.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:52 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Also - be careful that you're not dealing with a dry Riesling that has been deliberately stripped of pradikat in one of the newer labeling schemes. Is there a vineyard site listed on the label? If so, then you are likely dealing with more than just a QbA. If not then you;re dealing with price gouging by marketing.

EXCELLENT advice. Thanks, David.
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

by Fredrik L » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:01 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Clemens-Busch is trying to cultivate an image of superiority through high pricing in the US.

I will contact Rita and Clemens Busch and tell them what we are currently discussing; I´ll get back to you with their version!

Greetings / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:51 am

I agree with all of the above and wonder, cynic that I am, whether the local merchants are trying to capitalize on a general lack of familiarity with German wines and German wine nomenclature. I've basically been banned from our local BevMo for calling their bluff on a lot of ordinary German wines which they price like '69 TBAs. And this was before the dollar started to tailspin.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:38 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Also - be careful that you're not dealing with a dry Riesling that has been deliberately stripped of pradikat in one of the newer labeling schemes. Is there a vineyard site listed on the label? If so, then you are likely dealing with more than just a QbA. If not then you;re dealing with price gouging by marketing.

Michael mentioned no vineyard designation. I checked winesearcher, shows 4 non-pradikat Clemens Busch wines, three are in Oregon. All three are listed as Von Roten Schiefer QbA, with prices from $21-24. Sounds like Eugene shops are priced high.

Based on Lyle Fass's notes on Von Roten Schiefer in Cellartracker that it is a very serious almost dry wine.

I liked the one Clemens Busch wine I had (didn't pay for it).

I would be cautious of saying that I wouldn't pay over XXX for a type of wine. I like the St Urbans Hof QbA mentioned, but it's not in the same class imho as say the Max. Grun. QbAs. Just as price of a Jadot or Drouhin Bourgogne (which can be good values) is mostly immaterial to a Roumier or Lafarge (or Domaine Leroy!!!!!) Bourgogne.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:38 pm

And yes the dollar sucks. :(
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:42 pm

Dale Williams wrote:And yes the dollar sucks. :(

We don't call it the "Dubya Dollarette" for nuthin'!
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:07 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Heil Bush!

You don't mean Busch? :wink:
/A
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

by Fredrik L » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:30 pm

I just talked to Rita Busch and here comes her explanation, albeit a little abbreviated: "This wine (Riesling vom Roten Schiefer, cost 10,20 Euro [$16] at the estate) was harvested at 98 Oechsle and was thus legally an Auslese. Personally we prefer only to call wines Ausleses if they are made from "specially selected" (ausgelesene) botrytized grapes. In the future we might even stop using the Prädikats for everything but the sweeter categories, so the consumer can know what sweetness to expect. The wines without Prädikate would then either be dry or almost dry (trocken bis feinherb). This is also the aim of the VDP. The best dry wines could then also be labelled "Grosses Gewächs" or "Erste Lage".
This wine stems mostly from a vineyard where much work is needed at present - the former owner sold it to us because he found it no longer profitable - and it would be impossible for us to sell a wine from such a vineyard for less than 10 Euros."

That was how the Buschs looked at it!

Greetings / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:44 pm

So, as I suspected, while it's labeled as a QbA, it's no mere QbA. In fact I would buy some of it if I didn't have to ship it across the country (thus incurring another $3-5/bottle in shipping).

Getting a $16 wine from the estate to retail in Oregon at $27 is not all that unreasonable.
no avatar
User

Michael A

Rank

Wine geek

Eugene Oregon

by Michael A » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:04 pm

Thank you all for the great posts on this subject.
Now that we have narrowed it down a bit more on this wine...questions, questions.
After Mrs Busch's comments about being auslese level, I also notice this wine comes in at 12% Alc. I would assume (that phrase gets me into more trouble) that it is bone dry. Would the wine still have the richness of an auslese with predicate, or does this change the wine profile somewhat? Any tasting notes?

Thanks again
Michael
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:18 am

Auslese ripeness and 12% alcohol. Might not be totally dry. But then again it might be.

It will have the richness and body, but in a totally different way from a traditional auslese since the body will come more from alcohol than sugar. Honestly if I were you I would buy one & try it. It's a kind of wine that is on the vanguard of German wine making these days.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:28 am

Michael A wrote: Would the wine still have the richness of an auslese with predicate, or does this change the wine profile somewhat?

Michael,

While I haven't tasted this particular wine, I've had my fair share of Trockene Auslesen (They are pretty available in Germany, but increasing hard to find here -at least in the QmP labeling scheme.) But, If you've drank much dry GG, EG, EL wine from Germany, Riesling Smaragd from Austria, or even dry Riesling from Alsace (although that particular style isn't as similar these days), then you have too. In a viscous and textural sense, they are as rich, only without the noticeable sweetness (the sweetness of the alcohol adds another dimension though.) Poor winemaking can really be exposed at this stage of ripeness and dryness –some wines are lumbering and clumsy. But QmP Auslese Trocken can be a fascinating category of wine and another great substitute for Chardonnay.

-Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Michael A

Rank

Wine geek

Eugene Oregon

Re: $27.00 (USD) QBA? I'm confused / I did some homework.

by Michael A » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:32 pm

I have found out a little more information on this particular wine. I found out the wholesale price of this wine in my area. I guess the retail market is getting their share. I am not sure how to post something like this without hanging someone out to dry.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:48 am

Michael A wrote: I am not sure how to post something like this without hanging someone out to dry.

I'm not sure this is a satisfactory answer, Michael, but generally speaking, it's entirely appropriate to post pricing and marketing information that affects the consumer, and frankly, if it makes a retailer or distributor look mendacious, that's just part of the deal. Certainly there's no forum rule against it.
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:18 pm

Michael A wrote:I have found out a little more information on this particular wine. I found out the wholesale price of this wine in my area. I guess the retail market is getting their share. I am not sure how to post something like this without hanging someone out to dry.

With normal industry mark-ups, the wholesale price would be in the neighborhood of $18. Is it a lot different in this case?
no avatar
User

Michael A

Rank

Wine geek

Eugene Oregon

by Michael A » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:16 pm

Mark,
This particular wine is $14(USD) wholesale in my area. Almost a 100% markup! Don't even get me started on restaurant markups. I have a few QBA's that I paid $11 after case discount and the same wine was on a wine list for $26!

Michael
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:09 pm

Michael A wrote:I have a few QBA's that I paid $11 after case discount and the same wine was on a wine list for $26!

"Unfortunately", I think that's normal. 200-300%. When it goes above 300% then it starts getting tricky.

Of course that is why I usually prefer to open bottles at home.
Next