The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Erdener Pralat Producers with the same label

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Michael A

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:03 pm

Eugene Oregon

Erdener Pralat Producers with the same label

by Michael A » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:33 pm

I have seen the EXACT same label from Monchof, Dr. Loosen & Christoffel-Beres from wine from ERDENER PRALAT. Also in different poses and renderings for Willi Schaefer & Dr. F Weins-Prum. It seems to me its like Coca Cola and Pepsi are using the same spokesperson for their product. In my understanding of German efficiency, it would seem to prohibit the duplication of logo’s on similar products. It appears to me that every producer has painstakingly made sure of the individuality and uniqueness of their private label. Is this another sort of Zeller Swartz Katz, Krover Nactarsch or Hocheim wild boar?

Thanks again..questions question questions
Michael
"There are more old wine drinkers than old doctors" German proverb
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Erdener Pralat Producers with the same label

by David M. Bueker » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:54 am

The Pralat label is a special case where all vintners making the wine are allowed to use the friendly looking monk on the label. Unlike things like Zeller Schwarz Katz, the Pralat is an outstanding single vineyard site that produces some of the ripest wines in the Mosel.

Willi Schaefer makes no Erdener Pralat. Meulenhof does.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:57 am

David is right. And as every pernickety German would tell you: there is always the Amtliche Prüfungsnummer! :wink:

Greetings / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

JeanF

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:04 pm

by JeanF » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:06 am

Let me just that the Erdener Prälat was not a vineyard designation before 1971 but a trademark that the Berres family took in the 19th century representing its best vat(s) in the Erdener Treppchen. Under their pressure, it became a single vineyard as they could show that historically, the grapes for the Erdener Prälat always came usually came from the part of the vineyard just below the cliff. By that time, Weins-Prüm, Loosen and others had got part of this vineyard (basically by marrying a Berres girl) and they all got the right to the label.
www.moselfinewines.com
no avatar
User

Michael A

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:03 pm

Eugene Oregon

by Michael A » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:35 pm

You guys are great. I have been looking for this information for quite sometime.

thanks again
Michael
"There are more old wine drinkers than old doctors" German proverb