The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Quick notes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Quick notes

by Florida Jim » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:12 pm

1998 Guiseppe Mascarello, Barolo Monprivato:
Served a bit warm and recovered some when put in the fridge for 15 minutes; pale and slightly browning color; once it was cool, a lovely rose petal nose; elegant and flavorful in the mouth albeit slightly thin and resolved tannin. I think this had been somewhat cooked in transit but it was still a pleasant bottle – but not for $38.

1998 Hop Kiln, Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve:
So much American oak smell as to mask any fruit aromas and the wood dried out the palate almost completely. Bad wine-making.

2005 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Clos des Allées:
Think alpine stream; fragrant, fresh, crystalline, clear, pure; sensational wine for $13.

2005 Breton, Chinon Beaumont:
Ripe cabernet franc with a minty edge, good depth, fine grained tannins and superb length. Good now, maybe better later. $18.

2006 Edmunds St. John, Gamay Rosé Bone Jolly:
Its warm today – maybe 82 or so; the back yard has some shade but its fleeting as the sun heads westerly and gains a direct route to our table; the breeze is nice and sky has puffy clouds everywhere; we sit and we eat our
chips and salsa, humus and avocado and chat about what’s next for us; the dogs lay-out nearby, ever watchful; the wine is fresh and refreshing; the hour goes by and at its end, we feel better. Highly recommended.

And another bottle of the 2006 Qupé, Syrah Central Coast was every bit as good as the last one; sort of reminds me of really good Crozes and it still only costs $16 (supermarket wine my ass, Enzo).

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: Quick notes

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:22 pm

We had an '06 Bone Jolly rose' today as well with backyard burgers. It's happy wine.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: Quick notes

by Ian Sutton » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:52 pm

Florida Jim wrote:1998 Guiseppe Mascarello, Barolo Monprivato:
Served a bit warm and recovered some when put in the fridge for 15 minutes; pale and slightly browning color; once it was cool, a lovely rose petal nose; elegant and flavorful in the mouth albeit slightly thin and resolved tannin. I think this had been somewhat cooked in transit but it was still a pleasant bottle – but not for $38.

Best, Jim

$38 is not such a bad price - approaching that in £'s now.

A shame as I'm quite taken by the 98's in general as although relatively austere, seem to offer nice balance and aren't unforthcoming despite the structure.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster