The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A good internationally styled wine from Douro.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: A good internationally styled wine from Douro.

by Tim York » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:50 am

Covela Colheita Seleccionada – Vinho Regional Minho – 2003 – Alc. 13.5% (€ 15-20, I think).

This wine contains Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot as well as Touriga Nacional and is therefore not entitled to the Douro appellation even though the estate overlooks the river. Details about this wine and the estate are here - http://www.covela.pt/vermelho.asp .

C: Good intense deep red.
N: Attractively fruity and floral with a nice freshness.
P: This wine shows good depth, weight and length with round rich and quite up-front fruit and hints of spice balanced by appealing herbaceousness and mineral acidity and is mercifully spared any obvious signs of its new oak ageing. This is a very good wine in a modern international style. It is strongly marked by the Bordeaux varieties and I don’t get any sense of place. Blind, I would not guess Portugal. Nevertheless a very enjoyable bottle; 16/20.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: A good internationally styled wine from Douro.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:32 pm

Wow, sounds great Tim. Aaagh, you off to Cahors this week?
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: A good internationally styled wine from Douro.

by Tim York » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:16 am

Bob, I'll be leaving by car for Cahors tomorrow. Heavy programme for Saturday with lectures (yawn?) and tastings including Loire and Arg Malbec producers. Have you seen that Cahors is featured in this month's Decanter? Hopîng to call in on my favourite Saumur-Champigny producer on the way home.
Tim York