The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three From The Weekend...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Three From The Weekend...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:51 am

Tried these (among a few dead&goners) this weekend:
1. IlPodere dell'Olivos SantaBarbaraCnty Nebbiolo (TW) 1988: Very dark color w/ slight bricking; rather pungent/tarry/road tar slight fragrant/floral/dried rose petal bit herbal/leafy slight oak complex interesting nose; tart rather floral/lilacs/dried rose petal some tarry/pungent/Nebbiolo rather tannic/hard flavor; long lilacs/dried rose petal/floral fairly tarry/pungent pretty hard/tannic finish; much like an old Gattinara; fairly classic old Nebb w/ attractive fragrance but hard on the palate; still alive & interesting.
2. EdmundsStJohn Syrah ElDoradoCnty Wylie-Fenaughty (14.1%) 1999: Very dark/near black color w/ no browning; beautiful/complex very peppery/smokey/pungent some roasted/espresso/rather Rhonish bit minerally/WWII beacon some blackberry/Syrah lovely nose; very long some hard/tannic very roasted/espresso/Rhonish pungent/minerally slight blackberry/Syrah finish; a beautiful/complex very Rhonish Syrah that still going strong; no "low-brow" Cote-Rotie this wine.
3. LaJota NapaVlly/HowellMtn Zin (13.5%) 1988: Dark color w/ slight browning; slight herbal smokey/pungent/cedary/old Cab some licorice/blackberry bit dusty/earthy somewhat complex nose; soft slight dried out/tannic/astringent light licorice/blackberry/herbal light cedary/pencilly/toasty flavor; long soft some dried out/tannic light blackberry/licorice/dusty/earthy slight peppery finish; really interesting nose but a bit dried out/tired on the palate; interesting old Zin but not much sensual pleasure.
1. The IlPodere was one of the first good Nebbiolos in Calif. I believe this was one of the first crops off BienNacido that the Millers planted for JimClendenan. Don't recall from my conservations w/ Jim if it was Michet or Lampia. The first really good Calif Nebb was by Nick Martin at MartinBros in PasoRobles. Their first 3 vintages were from an old Nebbiolo vnyd over in the SanJoaquinVlly until the '85, when their Nebbiolo/Michet vnyd began producing.
Despite the lousy reputation Calif Nebbiolos have, I've had some that I've liked quite a lot and that compare favoriably w/ the best Nebbiolos from Italy...from the Valtelline.
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Three From The Weekend...(short/boring)

by Rahsaan » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:12 pm

TomHill wrote:EdmundsStJohn Syrah ElDoradoCnty Wylie-Fenaughty (14.1%) 1999: Very dark/near black color w/ no browning; beautiful/complex very peppery/smokey/pungent some roasted/espresso/rather Rhonish bit minerally/WWII beacon some blackberry/Syrah lovely nose; very long some hard/tannic very roasted/espresso/Rhonish pungent/minerally slight blackberry/Syrah finish; a beautiful/complex very Rhonish Syrah that still going strong; no "low-brow" Cote-Rotie this wine.

Sounds great. Not that I have any, but out of curiosity, would you drink these now or put them back in the cellar? (Or perhaps both?)
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Re: WTN: Three From The Weekend...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:19 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Sounds great. Not that I have any, but out of curiosity, would you drink these now or put them back in the cellar? (Or perhaps both?)

Rahsaan,
The aromatics are beautiful now, but the wine still had a little hardness yet on the palate, so I guess I'd wait another couple of yrs.
Tom