The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Seghesio "Costiera" Pinot Noir

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2005 Seghesio "Costiera" Pinot Noir

by Jenise » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:11 pm

A neighbor opened this for us yesterday. This Sonoma pinot noir comes from a producer long famous for his superb zinfandels. I'm disappointed that I didn't find more than a C+ wine here. More raspberry than cherry and more tart than sweet, shy of nose and seemingly overall less than ideally ripe for Russian River fruit. Medium bodied with intrusive tannins that never relaxed though we nursed our glasses for over an hour. Jim and I both agreed it was just okay, and not a wine we'd seek out again.

To be fair, someone on Cellar Tracker had a very different experience, describing this wine as "Smooth, almost velvetty...well balanced, lovely texture". He or she also noted that it had "tasty fruit", mentioning strawberry and cherry notes. In the end those compliments didn't add up to more than 87 pts, but still--doesn't even sound like the same wine, does it?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: 2005 Seghesio "Costiera" Pinot Noir

by Redwinger » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:31 am

Jenise-

I've never had theSeghesio Pinot but their Zinfandels have been major disappointments for the last 4 or 5 vintages...maybe even a bit longer. I don't know what the story is there, new winemaker(s), increased production, deliberate change in style or my palate going in a different direction.

FWIW, I hardly ever agree with Cellar Tracker and find the points assignment to be some sort of random number generator.

BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:23 pm

I am with you Bill. All these rave press reports and my palate for Seghesio are not in sync!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:28 pm

Redwinger wrote: I've never had the Seghesio Pinot but their Zinfandels have been major disappointments for the last 4 or 5 vintages...maybe even a bit longer.
FWIW, I hardly ever agree with Cellar Tracker and find the points assignment to be some sort of random number generator.

Interesting. Is it the alcohol that's disappointing you? I recently exchanged thoughts with Rod Berglund of Swan, because I've been disappointed in the zins I've bought through his club (but used to adore). I was really thinking it was more me that changed, but Rod was describing his increasing difficulty at keeping the alcohol levels down. I'd naively thought in terms of winemakers allowing this kind of thing, but he he speaks of it as the kitten he used to love who has turned into a lion he can't tame. It's just what the climate's giving them.

That said, I poured zinfandel for our local neighborhood tasting last week (notes I'm about to post), and a Seghesio showed very well (2nd place from both me and the group). But then it was a $30 Seghesio too, not the entry level.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:49 pm

Looks like we should all dig around and do an Open Mike: Seghesio.
That way, we will see whats going on. I have a PN plus the newly released Zin (entry level).
Thoughts anyone?