The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

An Ancient Bottle of something...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

H Johnson

Rank

Just got here

Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:57 am

An Ancient Bottle of something...

by H Johnson » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:02 am

I have found this bottle of wine hidden in my cellar... I was trying to research a bit into it but I can't find anything related to my particular year and brand. I know certian wines get better with age...but with that I know there is a point where it gets too aged...Well I was wondering if any of you wine experts...maybe not even experts....Anyone...can tell me if this is even safe to drink. I am just wondering if I should just dump it...or even just open it to try it. It's a 1984 bottle of Chianti Magni....The bottle has remained corked. However I can't find anything related to this particular brand or year. So please if you have any suggestions, feel free to comment!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: An Ancient Bottle of something...

by Mark Lipton » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:06 am

H Johnson wrote:I have found this bottle of wine hidden in my cellar... I was trying to research a bit into it but I can't find anything related to my particular year and brand. I know certian wines get better with age...but with that I know there is a point where it gets too aged...Well I was wondering if any of you wine experts...maybe not even experts....Anyone...can tell me if this is even safe to drink. I am just wondering if I should just dump it...or even just open it to try it. It's a 1984 bottle of Chianti Magni....The bottle has remained corked. However I can't find anything related to this particular brand or year. So please if you have any suggestions, feel free to comment!

It's safe to drink. No matter how old, wine doesn't become dangerous to drink at any point. It may be boring or unpleasant to smell or taste, but that's the only risk involved. So, why not open it up and see what awaits you inside? Who knows? You just might be pleasantly surprised, but it won't hurt to have another "backup" bottle handy.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:08 am

Welcome to the forum! There are lots of knowledgeable and friendly folks here.

I am firmly in the what-the-heck-open-it-and-see camp. It's extremely unlikely to be unsafe to drink. Unpleasant perhaps, but not unsafe. :wink:
no avatar
User

David P.G.

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:54 pm

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

by David P.G. » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:06 pm

Umm...we all realize what day it is today, don't we? :wink:

Very funny!
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:23 pm

Mr. Johnson - love your books.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:59 pm

As the admin who approved this new member's registration, I can assure you this is not who you think it is, nor is it an April Fool's prank. :?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:52 pm

As a side note, among wine folks, a bottle from 1984 is not very ancient. 1884 maybe.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:58 pm

Rahsaan wrote:As a side note, among wine folks, a bottle from 1984 is not very ancient. 1884 maybe.

True.
My guess is this will taste pretty ancient, I think 1984 was a particularly bad (dilute, rainy vintage) year in Tuscany. As others have noted H. should give it a try, but I'd have a backup handy.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:52 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:As a side note, among wine folks, a bottle from 1984 is not very ancient. 1884 maybe.

True.
My guess is this will taste pretty ancient, I think 1984 was a particularly bad (dilute, rainy vintage) year in Tuscany. As others have noted H. should give it a try, but I'd have a backup handy.

Magni is/was(?) a huge producer of wicker-bottle Chianti. Dump it without a second thought.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com