The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two 2000 Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm

NY

WTN: Two 2000 Bordeaux

by Jacques Levy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:13 pm

The 2000 La Cardonne was wonderful. Good nose, mature but still vibrant, excellent fruits, round tannins and a decent finish. It went very well with grilled strip steaks.

The 2000 Cap de Faugeres is on its last legs, disjointed, harsh and bitter on the finish. The remaining fruit and oak seem to be competing in a bad way. Avoid.
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Two 2000 Bordeaux

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:01 pm

I've seen praise from other here (Covert, I think). I liked the 2000 La Cardonne, but decided to drink up when faced with cellar space crisis.
Too bad about the Cap De Faugeres. I generally like the wine, but drink pretty much on release. My general policy for modern satellites.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:55 pm

Good to see you here...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

NY

by Jacques Levy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:07 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Good to see you here...

Thanks Oswaldo, lemme know next time you're in NYC, we'll go get something to eat with Yannis K.
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:36 pm

Jacques Levy wrote:The 2000 Cap de Faugeres is on its last legs, disjointed, harsh and bitter on the finish. The remaining fruit and oak seem to be competing in a bad way. Avoid.

Oh, F word! :) I just pulled a bottle out to open two weekends ago but we've been busier than expected and haven't gotten to it. Better take a look at it tonight, and maybe an 01 while I'm at it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:13 pm

J-

Thanks for posting. I've been dipping into a few lesser '00s as well.

Matt
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:33 am

Jacques Levy wrote:The 2000 Cap de Faugeres is on its last legs, disjointed, harsh and bitter on the finish. The remaining fruit and oak seem to be competing in a bad way. Avoid.

Well, we opened our one and only bottle last night and of course you were completely right. I'm deeply chagrined that a bottle I bothered to acquire from out of state was such a dog where the same year of Larose Trintaudon that just about anyone can buy in any grocery store in this country was well above average. Oh, and we opened a 2001 Cap de Faugeres as well, and though it wasn't as bad as the 00 there was nothing especially pleasing about it. I think I'll just write this label off henceforth. Thanks for making me look--more room in the cellar!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:21 pm

CT says I have a bottle of the '01 Cap de Faugeres left. If so, not where I'd expect it to be, will do a little searching this weekend. In general I regard this as a good pop on release modern Bdx, to serve with a steak. No real reason to hold.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:10 pm

Dale Williams wrote: In general I regard this as a good pop on release modern Bdx, to serve with a steak. No real reason to hold.

Apparently! You know what, I knew this wasn't a long-hauler, but neither did I realize they would go south this soon. Oh well, live and learn.
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

NY

by Jacques Levy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:29 pm

It was very disappointing for me also, as I have two bottles left of the 2000 Cap de Faugeres. I am holding out a little hope that this awkward stage will pass and some unknown force will bring balance to this wine (very unlikely, I know.)
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

NY

by Jacques Levy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:34 pm

Matt Richman wrote:J-

Thanks for posting. I've been dipping into a few lesser '00s as well.

Matt

Hey Matt, that La Cardonne is a beauty. As is the 2000 La Tour Carnet. Both somewhere between B+ to B+++ :D
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Reminds me of a note I saw recently in which someone rated a wine 90+++. I thought 'why not just say 91'?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:50 pm

Jacques Levy wrote:It was very disappointing for me also, as I have two bottles left of the 2000 Cap de Faugeres. I am holding out a little hope that this awkward stage will pass and some unknown force will bring balance to this wine (very unlikely, I know.)

Jacques, I held the bottles for retasting today since we didn't find them drinkable. But overnight I came down with a nasty cold, so though I did retaste this morning my impressions are unreliable. That said, I found the 00 the better of the two but neither was pleasing (where I have very nice memories of the 2003 Larose Trintaudon we sampled instead).
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

NY

by Jacques Levy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:04 pm

Jenise wrote:Jacques, I held the bottles for retasting today since we didn't find them drinkable. But overnight I came down with a nasty cold, so though I did retaste this morning my impressions are unreliable. That said, I found the 00 the better of the two but neither was pleasing (where I have very nice memories of the 2003 Larose Trintaudon we sampled instead).

Jennise, i always thought these second (or maybe third) tier wines are supposed to outperform in great vintages. Heck, I had the 1990 La Tour Carnet in 2004 and that was gorgeous. That was why I was annoyed with this Cap de Faugeres
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:23 pm

Jacques Levy wrote:Jenise, i always thought these second (or maybe third) tier wines are supposed to outperform in great vintages. Heck, I had the 1990 La Tour Carnet in 2004 and that was gorgeous. That was why I was annoyed with this Cap de Faugeres

Why I bought this wine, too; perhaps the lesson is that we should stick with the more traditionally styled wines. Or hire Dale to fill in the drink-by dates for all the Bordeauxs in our cellars. :D