The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Turley TheWhiteCoat '00..(dead&gone)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Turley TheWhiteCoat '00..(dead&gone)

by TomHill » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:40 pm

Opened this last night to go w/ my spinach samwich:
1. Turley TheWhiteCoat SLOCnty (16%; Roussanne/Viognier blend) 2000: Very dark brown/murky color; nose reeking of oxidation/acetaldehyde w/ no fruit or alcohol; bitter/terrible flavor of sherry (not madeira) and oxidation; totally dead & gone.
1. This was, I believe, the first Turley WhiteCoat. Tasted it first at VillaCreek afore HdR one year. I kinda liked the wine for its over-the-top character, thought it a bit hot/alcoholic, pretty heavily oaked and butterscotchy, and a little bit on the oxidative side; but some interesting/pretty intense fruit underneath all this.
When I grabbed the btl, the dark brown color was the first sign I'm in trouble here. The cork was tight in the btl, pretty pliable, and there was absolutely no signs of leakage or failure of the cork.
A white Rhone blend shouldn't be dead at 7 yrs of age. Anybody got any idea what happened?? Was it cooked in transit? Did the oxidative character catch up with it faster than I expected? Did the cork really fail, despite signs to the contrary? Inquiring minds want to know.
Tom
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: WTN: Turley TheWhiteCoat '00..(dead&gone)

by Mark Lipton » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:51 pm

TomHill wrote:A white Rhone blend shouldn't be dead at 7 yrs of age

Why do you say that? Have you had other Rhone blends from CA that lasted longer, or are you basing that statement on your experience with whites from the Rhone valley? I would suspect that the low acidity of most whites from CA, coupled with the dubious aging potential of Viognier, are the source of the problem here -- but your experience may indicate otherwise.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Re: WTN: Turley TheWhiteCoat '00..(dead&gone)

by TomHill » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:13 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Why do you say that? Have you had other Rhone blends from CA that lasted longer, or are you basing that statement on your experience with whites from the Rhone valley? I would suspect that the low acidity of most whites from CA, coupled with the dubious aging potential of Viognier, are the source of the problem here -- but your experience may indicate otherwise.
Mark Lipton

Mark,
My experience comes mostly from the Calif white Rhones. Recently had the Calera and Phelps Viognier 1990 that were in wonderful shape. I've had SteveEdmunds Viogniers at 15 yrs of age that were amazingly good. The Qupe Marsannes age for 20 yrs. The Qupe LosOlivosCuvee blend easily goes for 10 yrs. Most Calif white Rhones would still have some life at 7 yrs of age, even the Viogniers. I was just pretty surprised that this wine was so totally shot.
Tom