The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Some stores for champagne in the Boston area

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dan G.

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:29 pm

Freiburg, Germany

Some stores for champagne in the Boston area

by Dan G. » Mon May 12, 2008 7:40 pm

It's been a while since I posted about six months ago asking for advice on champagne. Well, I've been learning more and more since then. I also asked about good places to buy and got some great advice (sorry, can't remember who it was! I think a guy named Paul was one...). So anyway, I thought I'd list some that I've found. This is not a review since I haven't bought very many at any one place (except Winecellar of Silene) but just pointers for where some greenhorns like myself might want to look if they don't know.

1. Winecellar of Silene - Waltham, MA
This was the first one I tried because my old office in Waltham is (literally) a two-minute drive from here. It also has fairly knowledgeable staff. Though it's clearly a "nice" store, the prices are very reasonable for the Boston area. Though even around New Year's the selection was not particularly impressive, they had some ones I really like -- Perrier-Jouet, Pol Roger (yum), and some of the other bigger names. I like the atmosphere, the friendly staff, the reasonable prices... and the huge selection of non-sparkling wines in the store. But best of all, every champagne I bought here (I got about five or six bottles) was in great condition. The carbonation alone, as compared to the same wines I bought at other stores, proved a testament to the importance of proper sparkling wine storage.

2. Vinnin Liquors - Swampscott, MA
Located in Vinnin Square, this is my favorite liquor store in MA. It's in a fairly well-to-do suburb but has very reasonable prices on just about everything. They sell a number of decent diaspora bubblies here (Freixenet for $8, anyone?) as well as some good vintage wines well out of my price range. They've never had Pol Roger on any of my visits, though. Still, worth checking out if you're in the area (Boston's North Shore).

3. Marty's Liquors - Allston, MA
These guys have a much better selection than either of the afore-mentioned stores. I can't remember which wine I actually bought here to celebrate the Pats' Super Bowl victory this year (yes I know it didn't happen, and I won't appreciate any jokes! :x :wink: ), but I was a little concerned about the storage based on the fact that their one bottle of Pierre Peters had a damaged label and was standing upright and randomly placed around the other champagnes. Or maybe I was just sore that I had finally found a bottle but it looked no good. Still, I was quite impressed with the selection. Maybe if I go back there sometime soon I can pick up a few bottles and see if they're in good condition.

4. Blanchard's Liquors - Allston, MA
A few steps away from Marty's, this place is much bigger and also caters to tin-tongued jocks. I get the feeling it does a little more pandering, though. Smaller selection, and the prices varied widely. Might be worth a shot, but if you need to go to one place, this isn't it. I only mention it here because so many people in the area just go here because it's so big... and because everyone else goes here... but if you're looking for the good stuff, I'd suggest going another block up Harvard to Marty's.

Now that I've written that, I realize I don't remember many other stores worth mentioning. Oh well. I hope this is at least mildly helpful to someone, and I'll try to write some more quick suggestions if I think of them or find a new place in the next two months that I'll still be in Boston.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Some stores for champagne in the Boston area

by Paul Winalski » Mon May 12, 2008 8:54 pm

Winecellar of Silene is one of the grande old dames of wine stores in the Boston area. It hasn't been quite the same since the Hangsteffers sold it off, and now it's part of the Brookline Liquor Mart constellation. But still a top-notch store, last time I visited (which I confess was now some years ago).

For non-vintage Champagne, one of the most important factors is store turnover. You want a store that is continually turning over its stock.

If you do find such a store, the wine you buy will likely be on the green side (Champagne houses release the wine this way), and usually will benefit immensely from a year or two in your cellar.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Dan G.

Rank

Wine geek

Freiburg, Germany

by Dan G. » Tue May 13, 2008 1:34 pm

Yeah, the Roederer I had (though that may have been from Vinnin Liquors) was very sharp with a real acidic bite to it. A pleasant citrus flavor, I suppose, but that may have accounted for it.

It's often tough for me to keep wine bottles in the cellar (i.e., my parents' basement... though I have one at my place too) and not drink them. But I still have a couple that are about six months old now, including a NV Bollinger. That should be fun to drink!

And I realize now it was you who helped me out back then, so thanks again, Paul!
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Tue May 13, 2008 3:41 pm

Near Blanchard's...you must be talking about Marty's Allston store. I recommend you hie yourself out to the bigger location in Newton Corner. Ask for Tom Schmiesser or Peter Tryba; between the two of them, they've got it all covered. Tell them I said "Hi" and that I'm still on the job down in Asheville, NC. They are great, great wine people.
no avatar
User

Dan G.

Rank

Wine geek

Freiburg, Germany

by Dan G. » Tue May 13, 2008 3:44 pm

Thanks Dave, I'll try to head over there soon! I don't go to Newton Corner much but since I generally drive into Boston it shouldn't be a problem. I'm going to a dinner on Thursday so I'll see what they have to say about what to drink with steamed salmon fillet if I get a chance to go there first...
no avatar
User

Peter Tryba

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:48 pm

by Peter Tryba » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:10 pm

Thanks for the kind words Dave!

Champagne is a special delight for me, especially introducing people to the myriad grower bottlings "popping" up so often.
Wine Dude / Rock Star
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:24 pm

Yup I agree, Tom and Peter are great to deal with!

Also going out just a bit more are two other locations that are good to visit

(1) Wine Warehouse in Framingham
(2) Newton Lower Falls in Newton
(3) Gordon's in Waltham