The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Jermann, Banfi, Serpico, Flor de Pingus, Prum

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: Jermann, Banfi, Serpico, Flor de Pingus, Prum

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon May 26, 2008 11:31 am

Held a tasting last night in which the choice of wines was loosely based on the origins of those present. As usual, started with a dry white, moved on to three reds (decanted or opened 3 hours before), and ended with a sweeter white. All wines were tasted with different cheeses, mesclun with truffle oil & pignoli, and prosciutto.

2005 Jermann Venezia-Giulia Vintage Tunina
Brought back from a trip to Venice last year. An unusual mix (Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Ribolla Gialla, Malvasia and Picolit). Interesting nose, with some petrol, mineral, and oak. As the wine warmed, an absolutely gorgeous perfume of white flowers, possibly jasmine, emerged. Fresh and mild in the mouth, with good fruit, good acidity, and nice balance between the two. Excellent, but too expensive at $50.

1997 Castello Banfi Brunello di Montalcino Poggio alle Mure
Also brought back from Venice. The cork was stained and I feared the worst, but there was no contamination, just some premature aging. Complex nose of musk, cherry, plum, and oak vanilla. Unfortunately a bit more acid than fruit in the mouth, probably because of the cork, but beautiful velvety tannins. Clearly a wine of complexity and substance that might have been stunning had it been adequately preserved.

2001 Feudi di San Gregorio Aglianico Serpico
Powerful nose of tar and spices, with some cassis and dishrag. Bracing acidity and mouth puckering tannins. Probably drunk at the wrong point. Not closed, but the initial burst of primary fruit appears to have ebbed while the secondary flavors have not yet developed in the context of milder tannins. Still very impressive, just unbalanced at this point.

2001 Domínio de Pingus Ribera del Duero Flor de Pingus
Had this for the first time a month ago and thought it was fabulous. Barnyard nose with blackberries. Tongue-tingling acidity, mixed with sweetness and additional plum flavor. Good tannic grip. Lovely wine, though not quite as impressive as previous bottle, possibly because expectations were so high and surprise was no longer possible.

2005 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese
Wonderful nose of honey and pineapple. Mild fizz in the mouth, with additional honeydew notes. The fruit is bursting with exuberance at this point, overwhelming the acidity and chastising me for infanticide. Still amazed that wine this good can cost so (relatively) little. Thank you, oh widespread prejudice against sweeter wines!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Jermann, Banfi, Serpico, Flor de Pingus, Prum

by David M. Bueker » Mon May 26, 2008 12:21 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:2005 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese
Wonderful nose of honey and pineapple. Mild fizz in the mouth, with additional honeydew notes. The fruit is bursting with exuberance at this point, overwhelming the acidity and chastising me for infanticide. Still amazed that wine this good can cost so (relatively) little. Thank you, oh widespread prejudice against sweeter wines!

World class white wine, capable of aging for 2-3 decades, and it's available for under $50! Hooray!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Lee Short

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:08 pm

WA USA

by Lee Short » Mon May 26, 2008 1:41 pm

All the Jermann whites are lovely, but they're all priced into the category of special-occasion whites. I have a couple of Vintage Tunina's that I'm waiting to try with some age on them. Of the entry-level wines, I strongly preferred the Vinnae (Ribolla Gialla).
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:36 pm

Any experience with the 2005 JJ Prum WS Spatlese? The only 2005 Auslese I have from Prum is the Bernkasteler Badstube.
Diane
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:59 am

Diane (Long Island) wrote:Any experience with the 2005 JJ Prum WS Spatlese?

I only had it once, back when it was released, but it was gorgeous. What else is new.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:42 am

Diane (Long Island) wrote:Any experience with the 2005 JJ Prum WS Spatlese? The only 2005 Auslese I have from Prum is the Bernkasteler Badstube.

Nope, just the auslese...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.