The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Vinexpo Day 1: Sweet Germans

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Vinexpo Day 1: Sweet Germans

by Jay Labrador » Sat May 31, 2008 6:22 am

A great way to start day 2 of Vinexpo was a 10 AM tasting featuring sweet German wines. Unfortunately, the eiswein for this tasting somehow disappeared in transit so no eiswein here.

Rappenhof, Rheinhessen, Niersteiner Pettenthal Riesling Auslese 1990 - oranges on nose and palate. Generally soft with acid only kicking in at the finish. Good.

Georg Muller, Rheingau, Hattenheimer Nussbrunnen Riesling Auslese 2007 - Grape and peach. Very lively fruit. Very long, appley finish. Very good.

Reh Kendermann, Mosel, Leiwener Larentiuslay Riesling Auslese 2005 - Leafy aromas. Orange notes. Apples. Very sweet with lots of acidity. Very good.

Markus Molitor, Mosel, Zeltinger Deutschherrenberg Riesling Auslese 2005 - Not much on the nose. Very lively, fresh, spritzy. Very high acidity and very grapey. Very good.

Bassermann-Jordan, Pfalz, Forster Stift Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel 2006 - Declassified Beerenauslese. Unfortunately, my allergy started to kick in at this point so I had a bit of a stuffy nose although it improved after a bit. Very sweet. Raisins. Extraordinary length. Fresh. Excellent. A real struggle to spit this.

Moselland, Mosel, Bernkastel Kueser Kardinalsberg Riesling Beerenauslese 2005 - Tiny pour but enough to form an impression. Burnt sugar. Spicy. Very long. Didn't spit.

Max Ferd. Richter, Mosel, Brauneberger Juffer Riesling Beerenauslese 2005 - Deep color. Very sweet, smooth, well integrated. Tremendous length. Over 200g/l sugar. Didn't spit. Outstanding.

Winzergemeinschaft Franken, Franken, Ziegelangerer Olschnabel Scheurebe Beerenauslese 2007 - Not all that sweet. Lots of acidity and disjointed at this point. Perhaps needs time to come together but frankly, a letdown after all the stuff that went before it.

G. H. von Mumm, Rheingau, Johannisberger Mittelholle Riesling Trockenbeerenauslese 2005 - Deep color. Nose of pomelo, grapefruit. Creamy texture. Indescribable complexity. On the palate, it suggests soy sauce and even meatiness. Beyond outstanding. Superlative stuff. You hesitate to swallow so it can stay on your tongue for as long as possible in order to catch all the nuances. The whole thing blends together so seamlessly it's futile to capture and describe it. Endless finish. If I were Broadbent this would get 6 stars. If I were giving points, easily over 100. 334g/l sugar. Wow! Amazing, magical wine. So far, the only wine that's given me goosebumps. Easily one of the best wines I've ever had.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Vinexpo Day 1: Sweet Germans

by David M. Bueker » Sat May 31, 2008 1:18 pm

Not a lot of bug names I take it.

That TBA sounds luscious.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Michael A

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:03 pm

Eugene Oregon

Re: WTN: Vinexpo Day 1: Sweet Germans

by Michael A » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:20 pm

The line up sounds great....but alas will any of those wines make to the west coast? They never seem to.

Michael
"There are more old wine drinkers than old doctors" German proverb