The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

How did I do with these wines?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

How did I do with these wines?

by Jim Grow » Sat May 31, 2008 2:15 pm

I was in Ft. Wayne today and bought some wines that were deeply discounted at a grocery story that carries a few high end wines. These are what I bought for a total of $100.

1 bottle of 2001 Silver Oak "Alexander"
2 bottles of 2001 Beringer "Sbragia Limited Release" Chard.
1 bottle of 2001 Etude :Carneros" Pinot Noir
1 bottle of 2002 Beringer Chard. Private Reserve Napa

They all looked really good with high fills but the Sbragia's were slightly on the dark side. I am also not phobic about oak and am aware of Silver Oaks reputation and still love them along with oaky, big Cal. Chards. Anyone with my palate leanings think this was a good deal, if sound?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: How did I do with these wines?

by Dale Williams » Sat May 31, 2008 5:28 pm

Certainly you did well from price standpoint. I've thought the Beringer Sbragia was good for the style (I occasionally like a big oaky CalChard).
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sat May 31, 2008 8:11 pm

Excellent deal, as long as you like the wines.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Sat May 31, 2008 8:32 pm

I think you will be fine on the reds..have some concerns re Cal chards with that much age and oak
Jon
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:44 am

I tried the Etude and a Sbragia Chard. last nite at a pre-graduation party and thought the Chard was excellent and the Etude P.N. just O.K. It was a little shrill with acidity and had no earthyness I like to see in a good P.N.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:53 pm

Hey, Jim...where does one shop for wine in Fort Wayne. I grew up there and it's still home :)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:41 am

Hi Brian, I shop at Cap-N-Cork on Coldwater and Belmont Liquor at various stores and World Market by the Coliseum. The main Belmont store downtown on Harrison has been demolished but used to be the best store around. I have never shopped in Defiance, we visit Hicksville when up here, so if you know of any good shopping there please let me know. Jim
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:14 pm

You certainly got the prices right but I am not a fan of Berringer Chards as they are loaded with oak. Sbragia, Beringer's wine maker, also makes his own wines. Last year, his chard got my vote for the worst white I tried all year, loaded with oak and if that was not bad enough it also tasted liked melted butter. You have to like this style but is is just not my cup of tea.
Walt
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:18 pm

Jim Grow wrote:I tried the Etude and a Sbragia Chard. last nite at a pre-graduation party and thought the Chard was excellent and the Etude P.N. just O.K. It was a little shrill with acidity and had no earthyness I like to see in a good P.N.

Concerning the Etude, you may have just caught it a little early. I remember not thinking much of the 1997 until 2006/7 when I was down to my last 3 bottles. Based upon that experience, I have not touched the few 2001's that I own.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:25 pm

wrcstl wrote:You certainly got the prices right but I am not a fan of Berringer Chards as they are loaded with oak. Sbragia, Beringer's wine maker, also makes his own wines. Last year, his chard got my vote for the worst white I tried all year, loaded with oak and if that was not bad enough it also tasted liked melted butter. You have to like this style but is is just not my cup of tea.
Walt

Funny but I could write almost the same thing but substitue Silver Oak for Beringer. A while ago I picked up some of the 1996 Napa SO for what was a very good price. Finally poured the last bottle down the drain just 2 weeks ago. No noticable winemaking flaw and it smelled great when poured into the glass but in the mouth it was all upfront oak that immediately died in the mouth. I guess one could drink it but it was completely devoid of any flavor besides oak and therefore completely joyless.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:26 pm

Brian Gilp wrote:Funny but I could write almost the same thing but substitue Silver Oak for Beringer. A while ago I picked up some of the 1996 Napa SO for what was a very good price. Finally poured the last bottle down the drain just 2 weeks ago. No noticable winemaking flaw and it smelled great when poured into the glass but in the mouth it was all upfront oak that immediately died in the mouth. I guess one could drink it but it was completely devoid of any flavor besides oak and therefore completely joyless.

FWIW, Jim might be encouraged to know that the Silver Oak Alexander is often considered less oak-y than the Napa.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !