The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pieropan Soave '07 + Bründlmayer Zweigelt '05

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Pieropan Soave '07 + Bründlmayer Zweigelt '05

by Saina » Sat May 31, 2008 4:04 pm

I was supposed to take it easy this weekend because I have alot of jogging to do (a rather comical looking, jiggly bulge has suddenly appeared in the mid section of my body...), but a social engagement called so I opened up the two wines I was supposed to open up last weekend:

• 2007 Pieropan Soave Classico - Italy, Veneto, Soave Classico (5/31/2008)
    12% abv; 16,76€ Lovely minerality, bright citrussy aromas, with a sweeter, heavier note of fruit and that nutty scent I find in even unoaked Soaves. Crisp but fruity, citrussy, mineral, quite long. Very lovable - I can't wait to try the '07 Calvarino.
  • 2005 Weingut Willi Bründlmayer Zweigelt - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kamptal, Langenlois (5/31/2008)
    12,5% abv; 12,21€. Pleasantly leafy and peppery scent, dark fruit, very ripe and sweet, almost liquorous - I still like this, but did prefer the elegance of the '04. Ripe and sweet fruit, juicy, not as bright as the '04 but still well structured. I will certainly buy more of the '05 also.
Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: WTN: Pieropan Soave '07 + Bründlmayer Zweigelt '05

by Bill Hooper » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:38 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:[*]2005 Weingut Willi Bründlmayer Zweigelt - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kamptal, Langenlois (5/31/2008)
12,5% abv; 12,21€. Pleasantly leafy and peppery scent, dark fruit, very ripe and sweet, almost liquorous - I still like this, but did prefer the elegance of the '04. Ripe and sweet fruit, juicy, not as bright as the '04 but still well structured. I will certainly buy more of the '05 also.[/list]

Thanks for the note Otto,

I've not tasted any of Bründlmayers Zweigelt. I don't think the 2005 was offered here(?) Generally I'm more apt to purchase SL or Blaufraenkisch than Zweigelt, but I do like it. Especially those from Umathum. Maybe a Zweigelt Open-mic soon?
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Pieropan Soave '07 + Bründlmayer Zweigelt '05

by Jenise » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:53 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:I was supposed to take it easy this weekend because I have alot of jogging to do (a rather comical looking, jiggly bulge has suddenly appeared in the mid section of my body...), but a social engagement called so I opened up the two wines I was supposed to open up last weekend:

• 2007 Pieropan Soave Classico - Italy, Veneto, Soave Classico (5/31/2008)
    12% abv; 16,76€ Lovely minerality, bright citrussy aromas, with a sweeter, heavier note of fruit and that nutty scent I find in even unoaked Soaves. Crisp but fruity, citrussy, mineral, quite long. Very lovable - I can't wait to try the '07 Calvarino.
  • 2005 Weingut Willi Bründlmayer Zweigelt - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kamptal, Langenlois (5/31/2008)
    12,5% abv; 12,21€. Pleasantly leafy and peppery scent, dark fruit, very ripe and sweet, almost liquorous - I still like this, but did prefer the elegance of the '04. Ripe and sweet fruit, juicy, not as bright as the '04 but still well structured. I will certainly buy more of the '05 also.

Mmmm...Pieropan! This was the wine that taught me to love Soave. Haven't had the 07 yet, will look forward to it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov