The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Two wines and sampler plates at Jamie Kennedy's Wine Bar

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

Two wines and sampler plates at Jamie Kennedy's Wine Bar

by Michael K » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:34 am

Went to dinner at Jamie Kennedy's wine bar in Toronto. Nice little place! Great tapa style food and nice wine pairings. REALLY knowledgable staff on wine who went out of their way to explain the choice you selected and suggesting which might be even better choices even if the price was lower. Imagine that!

2003 Domaine Marc Kreydenweiss Moenchberg Pinot Gris
This wine poured out rather medium deep golden in colour. Richly sweet, almost auslese level of sugar, but still a good but low acidity, some apricot, nutiness, and spiciness but rich and thick. This is not what I thought an Alsace Pinot Gris would be like but it was interesting. Paired with a Pork Rillette and country pate so the off-dry nature, the fruit and the acidity worked well with this dish. It did not over power it but had enough acidity to make the dish less fatty.

Noceto Sangiovese Hillside 2004
Second wine tonight, was a Californian Sangiovese. I did not realise that this was from California so was surprised at the density of color and the nose, which was ripe and very full. On is own, it is okay, lots going on, spicy, some nice acidity, ripe and dense but paired with a duck confit, which was heavily spiced, the wine was almost perfect. It was just big enough to stay with the duck. As a matter of fact, if I did not know that it was sangiovese, I would have thought that it was a nice rhone while eating…then again, maybe it just develops in the glass quickly.

If I lived in this ncely mixed use urban area, I would be very tempted to use this as the evening simple dining spot rather frequently.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Two wines and sampler plates at Jamie Kennedy's Wine Bar

by Jenise » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:22 am

Vina Noceto is, to my tastes, possibly the best California producer of Italian wine varieties. They seem to get a good old world sense about them without underhandling their new world grapes. Good stuff, and I'm glad to see their wines made it all the way to Toronto.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

Re: Two wines and sampler plates at Jamie Kennedy's Wine Bar

by Michael K » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:14 am

Jenise wrote:Vina Noceto is, to my tastes, possibly the best California producer of Italian wine varieties. They seem to get a good old world sense about them without underhandling their new world grapes. Good stuff, and I'm glad to see their wines made it all the way to Toronto.

Jenise, this was my first experience with Vina Noceto and thanks for the heads up. I'll look for this producer in the future. Today in Vancouver so not able to head back to that restaurant :) probably head to Hapa Izakaya again....