The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 CORNAS TARDIEU-LAURENT

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

WTN: 2000 CORNAS TARDIEU-LAURENT

by wrcstl » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:28 pm

Every once in a while you have the perfect match of food and wine. With Coq Au Vin this weekend we opened the Cornas. It was pure dark fruit, nice pepper and bacon fat, and even though decanted for 1 hour it is just beginning the drinking window. There were no tricks with this wine, just a fantastic drink. Use Yellow Tail Shiraz as the wine in the Coq Au Vin, as well as all of our stew type dishes requiring red wine. Great use for this wine and think it actually enhanced the match of food and wine.
Walt
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2000 CORNAS TARDIEU-LAURENT

by Jenise » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:00 pm

Sounds great, Walt. I've got the 01 of that and look forward to being able to crack our first bottle in a year or two.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:43 pm

Jenise wrote:Sounds great, Walt. I've got the 01 of that and look forward to being able to crack our first bottle in a year or two.

Iam not an expert on this wine but if I had the '01 I would be in no hurry to open it. It should be very good.
Walt
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:13 am

Surprised you like a TL, as I thought you described yourself as an oakaphobe. Pretty much every TL I've had is heavily into the super-extraction/oak mode. Thanks for notes
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:08 am

Dale Williams wrote:Surprised you like a TL, as I thought you described yourself as an oakaphobe. Pretty much every TL I've had is heavily into the super-extraction/oak mode. Thanks for notes

Dale,
You are right, I am not a fan of oak, or put a better way, out-of-balance oak. The major part of my cellar is Bordeaux and it would be hard to imagine a good Bordeaux being made without oak. Regardless, as I said I am not an expert on TL but did not detect anything that was out of balance. It may have been such a ripe year for N Rhone that the oak was surpressed by the fruit. It was a delightful bottle of wine but now you have me a little concerned about buying other TL wines without first trying them.
Walt
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:55 am

Pretty sure Tardieu's practice (I think Dominique Laurent is no longer part of the operation) is to put everything (at least Syrahs) into brand new oak
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:02 am

Dale Williams wrote:Pretty sure Tardieu's practice (I think Dominique Laurent is no longer part of the operation) is to put everything (at least Syrahs) into brand new oak

You are not mistaken, Dale. T-L's modus operandi is a high (100?) percentage of new barriques for their Syrahs. I too was surprised by Walt's love of the '00 Cornas, but since I haven't had it myself, I'll reserve further comment. Having had a few older La Las, I can say that the oak wasn't prominent, but was nonetheless evident as mouthfeel and the telltale butterscotch notes.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:19 am

Mark Lipton wrote:
Dale Williams wrote:Pretty sure Tardieu's practice (I think Dominique Laurent is no longer part of the operation) is to put everything (at least Syrahs) into brand new oak

You are not mistaken, Dale. T-L's modus operandi is a high (100?) percentage of new barriques for their Syrahs. I too was surprised by Walt's love of the '00 Cornas, but since I haven't had it myself, I'll reserve further comment. Having had a few older La Las, I can say that the oak wasn't prominent, but was nonetheless evident as mouthfeel and the telltale butterscotch notes.

Mark Lipton

You guys are going to make me go and open another bottle to calibrate my oakaphobia.
Walt
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:07 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Pretty much every TL I've had is heavily into the super-extraction/oak mode. Thanks for notes

That is generally my view as well, but I have had a number of exceptions that prove the rule. Every now and then TL makes a wine with a rather classic Rhône profile. I remember fondly some '02s and even IIRC the '03 Côte-Rôtie (or some other N. Rhône syrah from the dreaded '03 vintage) wasn't overly woody. The '95 CR had become quite nice recently also.

-O
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:59 pm

I haven't tasted all the T-Ls but of the six or eight different ones that I have, they were oaky. Maybe I've just been unlucky. PS over the top also. :(