The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Mr. Ps Genuine Cashew Wine (N.V.) Belize 12% abv

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Mr. Ps Genuine Cashew Wine (N.V.) Belize 12% abv

by Howie Hart » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:05 pm

My brother-in-law, Gary, the Indiana Jones of the Chiroptera world, recently went to Belize and found this interesting wine, which he brought to me as a gift while visiting this week. Made from only the finest cashews grown in the Mayan Plains Terroir, this wine left us with absolutely nothing to expect or to prepare for. So, we chilled it. The screwcap was removed and I sniffed the bottle. “Smells like Sherry”. I poured it in my glass – deep amber and it still smelled like sherry. On the palate, it tasted like low alcohol cream sherry. While there was a “nuttiness” to it, there was really nothing to suggest cashews. Actually, it wasn’t a bad after picnic sipper, and I have to admit, it was the finest wine I’ve ever had that was made from nuts.
Cashew.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Mr. Ps Genuine Cashew Wine (N.V.) Belize 12% abv

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:36 pm

Howie Hart wrote:it was the finest wine I’ve ever had that was made from nuts.

Actually, Howie, I'll bet $5 that the wine is made from the cashew fruit. The "nut" that we usually eat is actually the dried seed.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:53 pm

I didn't know there was such a thing, but now that you mention it, there are 3 pieces shown of fruit shown on the label. But it wouldn't be worth the $5 bet. The wine cost $8 Belize dollars, or $4.00 US.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:55 pm

Howie Hart wrote:I didn't know there was such a thing, but now that you mention it, there are 3 pieces shown of fruit shown on the label.

Howie, the cashew fruit is very fragile, as I understand it, so it's not packed and shipped in export commerce. It's pretty much a you-pick, you-eat kind of thing. ;)
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:12 pm

Hey Howie, based on the partial view of the can behind the wine bottle, it's good to see that the Hart's have good taste when it comes to beer!!! 8)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:11 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Howie, the cashew fruit is very fragile, as I understand it, so it's not packed and shipped in export commerce. It's pretty much a you-pick, you-eat kind of thing. ;)
Just after I read your previous post a co-worker, who spent some time in Brazil, told me that he drank a lot of fresh-pressed cashew fruit juice when he was down there.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:14 pm

Howie Hart wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Howie, the cashew fruit is very fragile, as I understand it, so it's not packed and shipped in export commerce. It's pretty much a you-pick, you-eat kind of thing. ;)
Just after I read your previous post a co-worker, who spent some time in Brazil, told me that he drank a lot of fresh-pressed cashew fruit juice when he was down there.

If you are in a shop that caters to a Latino clientele you may find some cashew juice in those Tetra-Pak type boxes imported from somewhere like Brazil. A local supermarket here has it (along with mango, guava, etc.) and it shows a picture of the fruit on the carton.