The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Dal Forno Amarone 1990

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Fredrik

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:01 pm

TN: Dal Forno Amarone 1990

by Fredrik » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:12 pm

Since I worked too much the last month I told my view to get anything from the cellar and give me it blind. She took this.

My first reaction was that it is a lot of vinegar in this. At first my thoughts went to a good Priorat but I concluded it hadn't the quality of that and more raisin character so I opted for a Valpolicella Ripasso. I was contemplating a 1990 Masi ripasso or possible Quintarelli Valpolicella but not an Amarone. I guess I have to work on my classics...

Anyway, at first it was dominated by raisin, chocolate, VA and reduced aromas. Put in a decanter the reduced aromas disappeared with 30 minutes and it got elegant, round and nice with all components integrated. With time it disintegrate and alcohol and VA dominates.

It was served with first Entre Rios, then Einsturzende Neubauten and last Ojos del Brujo.

It went best with the crossover flamenco but it brought forward the overly alcohol and VA tones. I guess there is no more perfect match than Amontillado and Flamenco?

The German industrial music worked surprisingly good. It sort of harmonized with the overall character of the wine and got it more balanced, perhaps not surprisingly.

The Argentinian ambiance music was a little dominated by the wine but its inherent strength match the very nice inherent strength of the Amarone. Yes the wine has but an obvious and an inherent strength in different ways.

Finally to put a score I'd put 1065,76 of a maximum of 1543,79.

I suppose this is a great wine. I don't know, it was a long time I could afford great wines, after all I only earn 10 000 euro a month. Bought for about 70 euro I would buy it again at that price. Today, nah, I would buy a good Priorat at 20 euro instead.

Best
Fredrik Svensson, Luxembourg