The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: SOBER blind tastes Champagnes, Bdx, Burg, CA, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: SOBER blind tastes Champagnes, Bdx, Burg, CA, etc

by Dale Williams » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:57 am

Last night Cathleen hosted our SOBER group, and put together a truly lovely night of food and wine. She and Steve were gracious and generous hosts, and my only regret of the evening was I was driving, so had to do a bit of spitting. :(

The early arrivals sampled a couple of non-blind whites with nuts, soppressata, and cheeses:

1990 Pierre Morey "Perrieres" Meursault 1er
A little tight at first, opens quickly, a bit fat, not especially focused, some nutty notes. Tired though not dead. B-

1996 Zind-Humbrecht "Clos Windsbuhl" Pinot Gris
Fair amount of sweetness, but not flabby as I find some ZHs. Good richness, complex blend of floral, fruit (oranges, peaches), honey, and even a little mineral. It IS a bit much, and I think I'd struggle with it over dinner table, but nice as an apertif (and with a very ripe Munster). B+

After that the wines were double blind.

Flight One
Served with a lovely scallop dish in a cream sauce with leeks and ginger

Wine #1:
Bright fresh nose, not very yeasty, citrus based, young.

Wine #2
Initially the biggest nose, a whallop of caramel and brioche. A bit odd on the palate.

Wine #3
Lovely, easily my favorite of flight. Young and vibrant, yet with notes of maturity. Yeast biscuits, lemon zest, lively on palate.

Wine #4
Quince and lemon, fading mousse, very mature. Others like more than I do.

I don't drink enough Champagne to have guesses. All turn out to be Blanc de Blancs.

#1 1998 Deutz Blanc de Blancs B
#2 1988 Deutz Blanc de Blancs B-
#3 1989 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne A/A-
#4 1975 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne B

Very interesting and informative flight

Flight Two
With salmon with a red wine/shallot sauce and potato gallete

Wine #1
Slightly spicy nose, raspberry and cherries, good length, but maybe just a tad thin in middle. Nice mature Burg.

Wine #2
A note of iron on nose, both red and black fruit, some earth. My favorite of flight.

Wine #3
Meaty, good acids, maybe a tad short on finish, but I liked.

We were mostly in Burgundy, though there was some discussion re Northern Rhones. John felt a couple might be Jadots, thinking he saw some indications of high temperature fermentations.

#1 1985 Jacques Prieur Musigny B/B-
#2 1979 Jadot Musigny B+
#3 1988 Mongeard-Mugneret Echezeaux Vieilles Vignes B

Flight Three

Wine #1
Savage bretty nose, some red fruit and a little coffee underneath.
Hard to get past the brett, though.

Wine #2
Iron/blood, slightly fading fruit, a little weedy.

Wine #3
Ripe cassis and black plum fruit, mint and eucalyptus notes. A little smoke and tobacco. Tannins seem to have integrated. Very nice

Guesses were centered on CalCab.

#1 1990 Olga Raffault "Les Picasses" Chinon B-
#2 1985 Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve B-
#3 1974 Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve A-

I had a bottle of the Raffault last winter that only showed a hint of brett, this was much more intense; on the other hand I liked this '74 Mondavi better than a bottle a year or two ago.

Flight Four
With a kind of veal stroganoff with some veggies on side

Wine #1
Wow, maybe my favorite of the night. Powerful yet elegant. Blackcurrant, berries, cedar and leather.

Wine #2
A little leafy, not quite as powerful as #1, but good dark plum fruit with some earth and tobacco.

Guesses were all Bordeaux, but mostly Left Bank,

#1 1989 Ch. Trotanoy (Pomerol) A/A-
#2 1989 Ch. Petit Village (Pomerol) B+

Flight Five

Wine #1
Herbs, sweet red fruit, a little coffee and black pepper. Good length, mature but not fading

Wine #2
Spices, rose petals, sweet red fruit. Very good.

OK, I admit I found these quite similar. Embarrassing. :(

#1 1980 Guigal "La Landonne" Cote-Rotie A-
#2 1985 G. Conterno "Cascina Francia" Barolo B+

Really great night, this group keeps raising the bar, I'm beginning to worry re my next time hosting!

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: SOBER blind tastes Champagnes, Bdx, Burg, CA, etc

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:51 am

Sounds great. And I like your methodology of first writing your reactions, then revealing the wines.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:53 pm

Oswaldo, trying pretty hard to honest and only report what I found blind. Tempting to put "tar" in the Barolo, but that came later (post revelation).
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:55 pm

Great bunch of wines. Nice variety. You guys do a good job.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:24 pm

Sounds like a great evening. I'm a little envious. Oh, well--I have Monday night to look forward to--Fayetteville Wine Society will be tasting South African wines on the patio at Huske Hardware House Restaurant (in 90+ degree heat most likely). The Restaurant is in a renovated storefront/hardware building in downtown Fayetteville.