The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Opinions on the new French wine system?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Opinions on the new French wine system?

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:18 pm

http://www.decanter.com/news/257471.html

SPOOF AHOY! It sounds like. I know that there is no one "right" answer, but oak chips, sweetening, etc. etc. etc. sounds horrid. So...Australia will be moving towards better quality because of the long term drought, while France eagerly spoofulates! Yum!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Cliff Rosenberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:06 pm

New York City

Re: Opinions on the new French wine system?

by Cliff Rosenberg » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:40 pm

As I understand it, the French authorities want to be able to compete with the Australians, in particular, in bulk wines. At that level, oak chips, irrigation, industrial enzymes, and insecticides are all part of the package. There is, understandably, a great deal of controversy over the subsidies granted to producers with high-yielding, low-quality plant material in out-of-the-way zones, especially in the Bordelais and the Languedoc. I haven't seen anything in the current legislation that makes me optimistic that abominations, like the recent refusal to grant J.-P. Brun the AOC agrément for a batch of wine that was identical to one already approved, will stop. It's not immediately apparent to me how, if at all, the new reforms will affect artisinal and fine wine. Do you think that means the more elite, geographical appellations will suffer?
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:59 pm

Not much will change for me. I don't drink industrial Aussie wine or industrial French wine.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:29 am

Apart from the improved names of the three categories, there seem to be no changes compared with what I reported in a thread a few months ago. Clearly if France wants to compete in industrial wines, she will have to use industrial techniques; stay away, true wine-lovers. As for the higher categories, the devil will be in the detail and we will have to wait and see. The vignerons whom I met in the Spring tastings did not seem very interested in talking about the changes, which suggests little change for them.
Tim York