The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Godspeed (Mt. Veeder) Tasting at WineStyles

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Godspeed (Mt. Veeder) Tasting at WineStyles

by Brian K Miller » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:21 am

The owner of Godspeed came down from the mountains tonight, and we were quite impressed!

We started with a vertical of aged "Burgundian" Chardonnays-2003, 2003, 2001. All were balanced and showing the mellow gentle oxidation of bottle age. There was some debate as to the favorites. The 2003 showed the most fruit, of course, and the 2001 was quite caramelized and rather angular. I liked the mid-point, the 2002, which showed complexity but still had some very nice Chardonnay fruit.

The 1998 Cabenet Sauvignon, served from a 375 ml, was much better than a previous bottle I had tried (which was harshly green). Very nice, still somewhat green from the chilly 1998 vintage. But-nice black currant and blackberry fruit and a lovely, rich mouth feel-until I got a mouthful of sediment! :?

The 1999 Cabernet was my WOTN. Delicious black currant fuit, good acidity, and already plenty of varietal secondary flavors-great tobacco/cigar box and cedar notes, good savoryness Lovely and rich but medium weight mouth feel was quite nice, and alcohol is below 14%.
Why don't more California Cabernets have this lovely character???

2001 C.S. was much leaner and more angular than the 1999, with some pretty potent tannins still in place. I think this wine needs five years, and then it may be very lovely indeed.

2005 Trio-a Bordeaux blend made for early drinking, was quite soft but had nice rich dark fruit (no green-ness here like some Napa 2005s) and some savory character that I rather enjoyed.

Very nice tasting. The owner/winemaker is an architect (resort hotels) and a very quiet man. I am increasingly liking Mount Veeder's wines.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach